The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

SATA and ATA nonsense

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by wildarmsheero
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 1625 times

wildarmsheero

I'm not really a hardware guy, so bear with me. Basically, I'm trying to install what I assume is an ATA harddrive into my new computer. It's old, but I figured I'd make use of its 250 gb. Problem is, seems my computer only has SATA connectors (and in fact, I cannot find another data connector... I'll check the box or maybe its hiding in the machine) ANYWAYS, I was wondering if there are any good converters for this stuff out there, and what you esteemed geeks would recommend. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

This may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
I think the answer to your question is "No".

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

wildarmsheero,

What make and model computer do you have ??

It indeed may not have a connector.

With the price of HDs so low now, I would suggest you just purchase another Sata HD of the same capacity and generation as your existing HD. Your existing board probably has (4) Sata connections.

It is a shame to have to throw away perfectly good components.

Just guessing because you didn't specify your machine.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

wildarmsheero

Dell XPS 420

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

wildarmsheero,

http://www.dell.com/content/pr.....&cs=04

Appears to be an ALL Sata proprietary motherboard.

No Comment on Dell Computers.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

wildarmsheero

Alright.

I've resolved just to get an external enclosure. That'll be easier.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Easier yes, but a lot slower too.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There are IDE to SATA adapters. You can look on sites like Newegg and find many of them.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

An external drive connected to the eSATA port would not be slower, at least not according to the specs. I have never run an eSATA drive on a computer, so I don't know how the performance feels. I have connected one to a DVR and it's fast enough to record and play back high definition video. There are eSATA enclosures that will accept PATA drives and the XPS 420 has an eSATA port. This option may be more than most people need, but you can't say that an external drive *must* be slower.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I stand corrected - on an eSata port there should be little performance difference. I was thinking of a USB port because not all enclosures (especially the cheaper ones) support eSata.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ wildarmsheero, ScottW and whs,

I have (1) Generation I 80 Gig old HD Seagate runing on the Internal port of the eSata controller in the case AND IT IS FAST !!!! In fact, "Feels" faster transacting info than the Generation II Satas running on the main Intel controller. wildarmsheero could purchase (1) Sata HD , run it on the internal eSata port and really add to his existing computer. GOOD IDEA ScottW !! Don't know why I forgot about this solution as I am actually running it as we speak. MUCH BETTER solution than a USB HD.

Regards "While in a Senior Moment",
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, you are absolutely right provided you have an eSata port. The XPS 420's I looked up on the Dell website did not seem to have that - they had just 6 USBs and 2 firewires. I wonder where ScottW saw that.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I followed the link that Rick posted above, clicked on Tech specs and saw this:

External Connections
Additional drives can connect to eSATA, 1394 and/or USB 2.0 ports.

I didn't try to confirm that all XPS 420 systems have an eSATA port.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I guess, because under "Ports", they don't mention it. I wonder whether that is the connection for the bay.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ALL,

Here is the Manual and as usual, can't find the third party manufacturer that made the MB.
http://support.dell.com/suppor.....pendix.htm

Suspect all skews of 420 have the same MB as that is the way Dell and others do things for (artificial) market differentiation.

Might have been a bit off base with my earlier posting as to run good eSata, MB should have a separate second HD controller however without motherboard specs, it is hard to tell where the 420 eSata port in coming from. Might be taking the place of another sata on-board port when connected.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my eSATA is directly under the usb and right next to a 1394. i've added a lot of things so i'm not sure if all 420's come standard like this

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!