How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Sanboxie Quick Recovery for Firefox extensions

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1178 times

BobJam
BobJam

I've asked this question on the Sandboxie forum (haven't gotten an answer yet), but I thought I'd ask it here too.

FireFox Version 3.04

SANDBOXIE VERSION 3.30

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have Firefox and some 21+ add ons.

When running FF in Sandboxie, I'd like for it to "recover" any changes I make in the options or settings so that if I open FF in a non-sandbox, the changes will still be there. It's doing some, but not others. "Settings" may be a misnomer, but what I mean is when I invoke the extension and make a change. See below for the Reminderfox "add a reminder" example.

I have specified the following as my Quick Recovery folders (this from my "Edit Configuration" Notepad file):

RecoverFolder=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default\Read-It-Later Offline (I've starred out my default preferences folder)

RecoverFolder=E:\FFWeb Pages Scrapbook

RecoverFolder=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default\reminderfox

These work . . . for the "Read-It-Later Offline", "Scrapbook", and "Reminderfox" extension SETTINGS. BUT, they don't work for changing OPTIONS.

IOW, for example, if I add a reminder in "Reminderfox" (what I'm calling "settings), it DOES offer me a Quick Recovery for "reminderfox.ics" (which is the reminderfox file that records reminders, the "settings"):

But if, for example, I change an option, like uncheck a display preference in Reminderfox Options:

It DOESN'T offer me a recovery option (even if I manually check for one), and when I exit the sandbox that option returns to the checked status next time I open my browser (which of course is the expected behavior for Sandboxie when something IS NOT recovered).

And then I have the line:

RecoverFolder=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default\extensions

As a Quick Recovery folder for all the other extensions stored as subfolders (with their GUID as the folder name) under "extensions".

The folder tree looks like this:

I've expanded an extension as an example to show that these extension all (most anyway) have "chrome" and "defaults" subfolders, and then under the "defaults" subfolder there is another subfolder titled "preferences".

Notice also that "Read-It-Later Offline" and "reminderfox" are extension folders IN LINE with "extensions" (the "Scrapbook" data is on the "E" partition as you can see in the configuration line above), and NOT SUBFOLDERS of "extensions". My suspicion is that this has something to do with my problem.

BUT, I have drilled down further, and specified the "chrome" and "defaults" subfolders, and then "preferences" subfolder under "defaults", each in a separate Quick Recovery iteration, but this doesn't seem to work either. Actually, I've tried so many permutations, combinations, and iterations that I'm no longer sure what I tried.

So what am I doing wrong? No options recovered in any extension, and only the individual settings in Reminderfox, Read-It-Later Offline and Scrapbook. Do I have to have some 21+ separate lines for each extension? And if so, then which subfolder should I specify?

I'm expecting maybe a very simple answer that will likely trigger one of my many "duhhhhh . . ." moments, and I'll be saying to myself "Geeeezzzzz . . . that was a stupid question".

There is a workaround to this. If I mess with the extension changes in a non-sandboxed session, then obviously that shows up when I next do a sandboxed session. But frequently I forget, and mess with the extension stuff when I'm sandboxed . . . and then of course I loose all the changes when I exit the sandbox session. That's why I want to have these changes recovered.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I would guess the issue is that the settings for that extension like most all Firefox settings and Firefox extension settings are stored in prefs.js and that file is not being recovered.
Not sure why it wouldn't be recovered though.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!