The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Running XP recovery discs

(38 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by nell
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1597 times

nell

What a lot to take in at this time of night, but many thanks for the thought and effort everyone has put in. I will leave it running and have a good night's sleep, with luck, unless I wake up screaming about downloads etc. Good night to all.

Posted 2 years ago

Ruja

Windows 7 works great on 2006 (and even older) computers, my cousin just upgraded from Windows XP Media Center to Windows 7 following my advise after an infection, and everything is working perfectly (he got a student license). I even installed Windows 7 on PCs with Pentium 4 and 1 GB of RAM, not the fastest systems in the world, and with no aero and all of that, but quite usable. Give it a try before buying just in case, but driver support is much better in Windows 7 than in Windows XP, most things work out of the box.

Now I can't sleep waiting till tomorrow...

Posted 2 years ago

nell

Went to bed with a headache, but good night's sleep. Excitedly went to have a look at my pc - deflation- the bl...y magnifying class is still whizzing round the computer icon, with the same message "Backing up user data and settings".
I have to go out but will try to borrow a friend's computer this afternoon/evening to follow through.
If it is still the same at 2pm it will have been running then for about 24 hours, think I will switch it off and then see if I can make sense of attempting to download Ubuntu, at first glance it looks really confusing but no time at present.

Posted 2 years ago

marks100

hi nell ,it sounds like it wont,t be long phewww,
mark.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

HTG article re old laptops; http://www.howtogeek.com/12869.....ign=151112

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

marks100

nell, check this out its free and got a very windows feel to it
ps your system specs will run this fast :).zorin OS

also read this info http://zorin-os.com/free.html

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

nell, you are in the UK. I'm pretty sure I have a spare 512mb stick of ram. ( might even have 2 )
Do you know how your ram is configured at the moment ( 1 x 512mb in one slot or 2 x 256 in both? )

If you want to upgrade the ram, click on my profile and mail me your address, I will send FOC to you.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

nell

That is nice of you to offer Mike, but just this minute, i.e. after 24 hours my machine has stopped whizzing and the black screen with white writing now reads,
Press R for standard PC Recover options,
Press F to format the hard drive and re-instal the original factory settings all data will be lost
Press Q to quit this menu

I have not installed the disk 2 yet only disk 1, so should I quit and then install disk 2, or go for one of the other options?

What should I do now?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

24 hours is a day and is a long time for sure! Something is wrong. Did you not get the option to insert disk 2?

R = for standard PC Recover options
F = format. This command will wipe what you have on the machine. Have you saved your data?

Which suggests that windows is not installing at this stage, you need to format before a clean install. So try that next.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

When you started and the little circle was spinning collecting and saving system data for 24hrs you shouold have been prompted with a "Where do you want to save this data to" message. I don't know if you have any other partitions and that disk didn't save to your "C" drive as that would be a waste of time since you are now prompted to either factory restore or a format. That disk might just have gotten dizzy and confused for 24hrs. Like Mike suggested if you have any important data that needs saved you will have to use a utility like Unbunta and make a bootable disk then copy your data to another storage device before trying a fresh installation

Posted 2 years ago

nell

ok did that, then came up "press Y to format the hard drive and reinstal original factory settings"
Now at bottom of the screen says "Preparing Recovery Partition please wait.
At least something is happening,
Now came up
"System Recovery please wait"
"Hard Disk Preparation
Welcome to PC Recovery
This programme recreates a recovery partition on your hard drive"

At mom there is a bar across the screen with a green bit slowly going to move across, currently at 1% so may take some time, I am beginning to feel am getting somewhere, I will revert when it finishes, hopefully.

Posted 2 years ago

nell

Just to update all who have been so great to me
The Recovery disk 1 popped out automatically when the bar got across to 22% and a message on screen said "Instal Recovery Disk 2), this was about after 40 minutes and the bar stopped at 22%
I have installed Recovery Disk 2, pressed OK, and the bar has now slowly started to move across the screen with the folders above transferring from left to right in normal Windows fashion.
Bar currently at 27% and going to have a cup of tea.
Tell you what, I am learning a lot from this, whether I remember it in future is another matter.
I Will revert with update later, hope nobody is yawning?

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Sounds like it is proceeding normally now

Posted 2 years ago

nell

What a relief - it all worked ok and have now gone back to beginnings, need to reinstall some progs. and I need to re-install my Kaspersky Pure Security that I have recently paid for. Would appreciate the best way of doing that, or maybe that should go on another post.
Anyway folks I am now up and running whereas I had visions of scrapping the pc.
I really am grateful for all the help and advice received, all the mental stress of this has been with me and I am now on the relatively easy bit of replacing some of my progs.
Many Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

marks100

nell, did you keep a copy ie,email, note of the product key ? just down load the same AV then insssert the product key , should be ok
mark. glad you made it

Posted 2 years ago

nell

Yes I have all the info so will dig it out tomorrow, I am mentally shattered tonight, had enough of computers today.
Good night to all

Posted 2 years ago

XxChungxX

okay,

i dont use windows XP anymore
why don't you upgrade?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

XxChungxX, we are putting you on a 30 day ban, your help is quite useless

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.