The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Running XP recovery discs

(38 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nell
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1597 times

nell

My Windows XP laptop computer has crashed and I inserted disk 1 of a Recovery disk I made ages ago when I first had the pc. It has been running now for about 3 hours. How long do they take to run approx? It is working, i.e. the magnifying glass is circling the computer in the middle of the screen. I have never run one before so I do not mind how long it takes, but if it is only a short time then I may be wasting my time. Would welcome the views of any member who may have run them.
Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

hi nell it could finish now or in 2 hours who knows it depends how fast your hdd speed is :) don,t worry it will be fine
mark. PS make sure power supply lead is plugged in at all times. nell one mor thing have they been kept in a dust free place ?,.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Thanks for that marks100. I keep looking in on it and it is still chugging away, I have disk 2 after this so am in for a long night by the looks of it.

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

you can hold the disk carefully and look to see if fingermarked, make a cupper sorry , its one of those things
mark.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Have had several cuppers, its been running since 2.3o this afternoon, now 8 p.m, but the magnifying glass is still revolving around the computer. Forgot to see you mentioned a dust free environment, yes, they have been kept in cases individually. I will just keep it running even leave it overnight, hang the electric bill, but if it is still running in the morning then it must be a glitch somehow. But sometimes these things do take ages and never having done it before I am in the dark as to approximate times. Thanks for your interest.

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

did you put #1 disk in ? did it show any screen before it started loading ? can you remember how long all three disk's took to make ? it seems a bit to long but all depends how much data you have on the remaining disk,s.
mark.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

what's the make and model of your computer so we can see how fast it is?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

yes I put no. 1 in, then the Compaq PC Recovery screen came up to say "Backing up User data and Settings" and the mag. glass revolving is all that is on the screen. No other notations appeared as far as i know, but I did pop out of the room just after installing the disk and starting to run the computer.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi StrinJunky, Its an HP Compaq Presario,C300 laptop Windows Xp Media Centre Edition

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

is the disk-drive still running @ tony any other thought's ? nell keep it running for a while more
mark.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

If it's backing up data rather than just putting a clean system on it's anybody's guess how long it will take.

Thanks Nell. It's got 512mb ram so it could take ages. Did you select to save your data and settings?

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Hi StringJunky, well at least I am happy at knowing that it may take a long time, which case I will just leave it. As a novice some things happen quick and others take ages, this must be in the latter category, for as I say I have never done it before, it is still whizzing around.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

What time of day is it where you are/

Posted 1 year ago

nell

8.45 p.m, its been running since 2.15.p.m

Posted 1 year ago

marks100

nell btw when it finely finishes disk1 ,it will ask for disk 2 and so on so i wouldn't leave it untended for any long lenth,s of time
mark.

Posted 1 year ago

nell

Wish it would ask for disk 2. I should have started it a.m. I May be going to bed late then, but I can't stay up alnight, need my beauty sleep. If the worst comes to the worst if it is really late and it is still running on the first disk, would it be ok to just manually switch off the computer and start again with the disk tomorrow? I know that is not ideal though.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Not a good idea. When you start something like that, you should finish it.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Leave it on all night... it hopefully will be waiting for you to put disk 2 in the morning. If not you can start again and if you get the option second time round installing to NOT save your data, choose that one (if that's ok with you losing it) and it should run loads quicker. Go to bed when it's bedtime AND FORGET ABOUT IT TIL THE MORNING! OK? :) Nothing worse than staying up half the night only to find it failed... better to find out when you wake up refreshed.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I think I bet against this recovery ending anytime soon, so here is my advise in case it goes wrong:

If you have important files inside your computer, and they have not been deleted by this "recovery" attempt, you can use an Ubuntu Live CD to try to rescue those files: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

You can download the ISO image of Ubuntu Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . Select 12.04 (32-bit version), and then on the next page go to the bottom and select "Not now, take me to the download".

Then you should do a clean install of an Operating System. But I don't know how you could legally obtain a Windows XP Media Center installation disk. If you don't have one we'll try to find a way you could get one.

Also, please take into consideration that Windows XP is 11 years old, and support for it ends in April 8, 2014 (that's in 1 year, 4 months and 23 days). Consider upgrading to a newer Operating System, such as Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04. If you want, you can download an ISO for a Windows 7 install disk and try it in your computer without a key for 30 days: http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/ . Ubuntu is free, and you can install it from the Live CD i mentioned above.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Ruja

This is a 2006ish computer...unlikely W7 drivers are available for it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.