The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

running a program over a network

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by wxyzsupermod
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 634 times

wxyzsupermod

I have set up a small home network I would like to run minecraft on the desktop but then use it from my laptop
While someone else can use the desktop essentialy using the desktops processor is there any way to do this

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

That depends on the program sometimes. Especially true if it uses the same files when run over the network.

Normally all you need do it allow access over the network to specific directories and a computer. Than when the other remote/LAN computer either attaches a network drive or uses Explorer to get to the folder, it can run the EXE. Problems can occur though depending again on the program. If it needs to access the Registry say to verify you have a legal license, that license resides on the host computer, not the remote one you are trying to run it on, and that license is NOT in your Registry. Same would go for some install files possibly. Many programs are 'self-contained', that is all required files except for system files are on the folder and sub-folders. However, some installs place files in the USER folder or WINDOWS folders... and in these cases running the program over the LAN will probably fail as you are missing them.

Best to just try it and see.

As for the other user on the computer you attach too, well, if a game it could be problematic. Some save INI or progress files, so you can't have individual ones, or in some cases, to stop multiple instances of the program from running, they open files with 'deny all' and the 2nd instance of the program can't open it and fail. Why not just install (and pay license fees if required) on both computers?

Again, just try it and see what happens?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

wxyzsupermod

Sorry it took so long to respond I am already running a server harltron but my laptop doesnt have the umph to even run minecraft without the game being 1 frame a second or so what I would like to do is basically stream the video of the game and control it while it runs in the background of the other computer

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You can do that via programs like Team Viewer, but I wouldn't expect good results. Delay just getting the info to you from the other system would be a problem, not to mention you'd probably get the same screen writing speed.

Irv S,

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!