The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

rundll32.exe with no command line or location

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Claire17
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 295 times

My laptop seems to be running slow and I was trying to work out what's wrong with it. I read somewhere that the rundll.exe processes could be concealing a virus and I followed instructions to check them out.

I have Windows 7 and in the task manager it lists the processes but does not show any other details, including the command line (which I made visible). If I click "open file location" nothing happens, same if I click "properties". The 3 processes are 232, 632 and 792K.

However, it says online that you are legitimately supposed to have rundll running, but I only have the 3 listed above in the task manager. There is an application called rundll in the system 32 folder.

Can someone please tell me if these processes are legitimate?

Thank you

Posted 2 years ago

Hi and welcome to HTG forums. I would recommend getting CCleaner from here (get the portable or the slim version below):

Then go to the "Tools" section on the left and to "Startup". From there you can disable all startup items. Leave your antivirus activated, and if you use a laptop you should leave the trackpad controller also activated (usually called Alps or Synaptics).

Restart your computer and see if it goes better.

You could also perform a cleanup of temporary files with CCleaner, and uninstall toolbars and other programs you no longer use. Here is a great tutorial by SarahJames:

If you have any doubts just ask.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.