How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Rundll32.exe Vista

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ramcees
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 3180 times

Ramcees

Window Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working

I cant open IE, and i get Firefox has stopped working and chrome has stopped working, however with firefox it eventually opens. I also I get Rundll32 errors in other places, like when i right click on desktop and click personalize... none of those options seem to work. In System32, the rundll32.exe looks like a page icon

I have tried
1) f takedown to take control of rundll, rebooted in safe mode and tried to del, ACCESS DENIED
2) i tried sfc /scannow.... twice (cbv.log shows only problem being the sidebar)
3) i tried Nero/DsFilter thingy... renamed all those, didnt work
4) ran IObit Malware fighter ... fixed errors, but no improvement
5) ran Spybot found a few things there like babylon, fixed those... no improvement
6) i uninstalled Nero which was a trial that came with the pc, and uninstalled Quicktime and Xvid no change
7) in Control panel/System/adv settings/performance settings/Data execution Prevention, i added Rundll32... but nothing changed
8) i Tried msconfig> services> hid all microsoft services and disabled the rest. Restarted, but the problem remained
9)I created a new user account and was able to open IE, at some point i received another rundll error report, but that was it. There is a terrible lag, pages struggle to open, firefox takes up to 3min before it opens. this is not better
10) i tried opening IE w/o add ons... but it keeps giving me the Internet Explorer has stopped working error ( the first time i did this it actaully worked, and i was able to disabel a few add on's but now it just keeps giving the error again)
----------------------------------------------------

I got Vista with my laptop so i dont have the Installation CD, also no back ups. And no decent Restore point.. i always use the hybernate option( learnt my lesson now)
Is there something that i havent tried? Please help!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ramcees hi. Have a look through this,
http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....2e377aef51

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

When did it start? Could be Nero...

http://social.technet.microsof.....df5db1950/

Follow the above but if it isn't Nero, use MSCONFIG to find out which app it is (3rd message).

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I see a couple of problems which may be causing problems.

4) ran IObit Malware fighter ... fixed errors, but no improvement
5) ran Spybot found a few things there like babylon, fixed those... no improvement

IObit is a known problem as is babylon.

Scan with this; http://www.superantispyware.com/

Uninstall unwanted software with this in advanced mode; http://www.revouninstaller.com.....nload.html

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

sha2001m

Hi Remcees!

You would be surprised if I tell you that I started having the exact same problem since 4-5 days. I am freaking out if this is some kind of malware/spyware.
My malware anti malware detected few simple errors - cleaned.
Bitdefender antivirus didnt detect something serious.
Superantispyware also caught some tracking cookies and not any major problem
Used ccleaner to clear caches, cookies, temporary files
One strange problem is that My spybot SD stops scanning and closes suddenly at around 52% at the time of scanning vario.antivirus. I tried to scan it in safe mode, shuts down as well with no warning at all. (this wasnt the case before my problem started)
After being frustrated, I uninstalled my nero which i havent used it for awhile.
I have also scanned my system with microsoft antimalware software (10 days period scanner from their site) and malicious malware removal softward no major problem.
I dont know what else to do. I also downloaded another cleaning software, forgot the name. I will post that later one.
I hope its not a new kind of issue.

Sorry, that I have posted in your thread. Just wanted to tell you that I am also with you on the same boat.

Thank you for reading and hope we get a solution.
Sha

Posted 1 year ago

sha2001m

Hi again!

I don't know what to say! I managed to solve my problem or rather it looks good so far.

My problem was:
Suddenly rundll32 stopped working pop ups from time to time and then IE and firefox didn't want to open rather a pop up window appears saying "Firefox has stopped working" and "IE has stopped working" and in task bar, says" DEP stopped the program ...." Even google Chrome didnt want to open. The only browser I was able to use was Opera!!!

Scanned my computer with;
Bitdefender Internet security (my antivirus for almost 3 years)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (been on my computer for 2 years)
Spybot SD (used to work perfectly well before my rundll32 errors. It started to get stuck midway and shuts down in no error message even in safe mode!)
Ccleaner.
I couldn't uderstand why Spybot was acting like that suddenly.

So, looked over net and
Downloaded Spybot SD2 (beta version) and worked fine and didn't detect any errors
SUPERAntiSpyware
Registry Booster by Uniblue
SpywareBlaster
I disabled and checked startup programs in msconfig

Nothing worked..

Then something popped up in my head, I saw Codecv program installed on my computer, searched about it and ifound out that its a known Hijacker and after uninstalling it and restarting computer, Bingo, My browsers opened.
Also, I noticed google chrome had home page with Gadgetbox, i remember uninstalling that program few days ago (because it was addons on both IE and Firefox).. so looked over net and found SProtector is associated with this App and was also among the installed program. I have uninstalled it and everything looks normal so far.

I hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem.
Thank you

Sha

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Registry Booster by Uniblue is bad, bad, bad. Suggest you get rid of it.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Please don't use any product by Uniblue, you will be popping back here on a very regular basis

Posted 1 year ago

sha2001m

Yeah, well
I have downloaded Registry Booster by Uniblue in response to an advice I read somwhere, I have just scanned it and that was it! Didnt do any clearing or anything and after I found my solution, I uninstalled it. Never liked it after I installed that software.

Sha

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

sha2001m, you have no knowledge whatsoever.
For that reason your account is blocked

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.