The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

rundll32.exe uses 50% CPU

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by oberon
  • Latest reply from oberon
  • Topic Viewed 1785 times

oberon

I have a laptop with windows 7, and in the windows task manager>processes I see that rundll32.exe takes up 49-51% of my CPU usage AT ALL TIMES!

This is the only rundll32 in the list. It's location is Vista (C:)/Windows/System32, so i assume it should be safe.

So the question is: "Why on earth does it take up half of my CPU usage, even when i have no programs or any windows open??"

Thanks a lot!

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

hmmm, strange but sometimes viruses/malware take on the name of a rundll.exe file, have you done a FULL scan, with your anti-virus and with SAS/Malwarebytes?( remember to update before scanning, for the latest definitions) another way to identify the process (after you have done the scans) is to downlaod a program called autoruns, it displays all the startup processes and identifies them.

Posted 4 years ago

oberon

Thanks a lot mb,

I will do that.
The thing is that i dont have no anti-virus, and no internet acces for a while with the laptop in question, so i cant download an anti-virus. I will acquire an anti-virus in another way. I did ran a windows scan, but that's probably not sufficient (I'm kind off a newb on IT, but im trying to learn ;).

Thanks for your help!!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.