The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Rundll32.exe problems

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Unknown1
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 984 times

Unknown1

Hello! Okay, so this seems to be quite a common problem all around, and ive tried some solutions such as cmd and doing a full scan. The cmd run i done said it couldnt fix 1 problem. I also tried typing in Regedit in the start bar and followed this step by step instruction help. I saw there were two Rundll32s in the system and obviously one of those is bogus, i just dont know which one. I get pop-ups saying that Chrome stopped working, Firefox stopped working and Rundll32.exe stopped working. I also unistalled some programs i thought might be the problem. What can i do to get rid of this annoying problem? Please help, thankyou.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

OK, what IS the annoying problem?

What problem were you trying to fix, please LIST exactly what you did?

List the 2 RUNDLL32 entries you saw?

List the contents of the pop-ups please.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Unknown1

Iam trying to fix the Rundll32 problem, and how to get my laptop working again, properly.
As for the contents:

Name: NvCplDaemon
Type: REG_SZ
Data: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

And the second one -

Name: NvMediaCenter
Type: REG_SZ
Data: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

This is what i saw when i typed in Regedit and went through the files for Rundll32.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Those 2 registry entries were created by your Nvidia graphics driver and possibly legit and should not cause your laptop to stop working unless those files are corrupted. You can disable them to stop loading at startup in msconfig by unchecking those entries in startup tab.

Posted 2 years ago

Unknown1

Thankyou G41M.

Is there anything else i can do that doesnt involve me disabling the program?

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

You can try to uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver fron the Control Panel > Programs > Uniinstall. Do not uninstall from the Device Manager. Reboot and reinstall the driver. If the latest driver is available from Nvidia site, download and use them.

Posted 2 years ago

Unknown1

I had an idea and looked into Windows Help and Support about the driver. There is an option to disable and also update it as well. Shall i update from there? It also says that it is working properly?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

It would not hurt to try to update it.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I for one would go to the Nvidia website and see what the NEWER version is AND look at the README/CHANGE LOG. If you computer is a year or two old, newer drivers generally are useless. They generally include new h/w in the drivers.

If you DO disable the driver, Windows will revert to the VGA driver in its place.

I don't even know why you are concerned at all. Those registry entries are legit, and these are not a problem. Leave it be and go on.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Unknown1

isapalten - I am concerned, because i can hardly use my laptop, i dont know what i am doing, so i am asking for help. I need my laptop because i do homework on here that is very important to me.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

Unknown1,

I think it would be best to back-up any essential data and do a clean install. As this can potentially be malware related.

Do you have the Windows disc that came with your PC?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Unknown1, I was talking about the SPECIFIC RUNDLL32 problem you 'think' you have. You do NOT have a problem with it...

If you do NOT know what you are doing, DO NOT go about replacing any DRIVERS unless YOU know you need them. You could do more damage than good.

If you are that concerned about what could be on the computer and lost, purchase a FLASHDRIVE and ALWAYS save the data to the COMPUTER and the FLASHDRIVE. That way you'll always have a copy.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Unknown1, In your 1st post you said;

"ive tried some solutions such as cmd and doing a full scan. The cmd run i done said it couldnt fix 1 problem."

What do you mean "full scan"? Was it malware/virus scan? Was it SFC that reported "it could not fix 1 problem"? If it is, what was the 1 problem file?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@Unknown1, I usually don't write a story but the problem you are having entices me this time. Two computers I looked at recently had similar problems to yours. They clicked on ads for speedup your computer or some such nonsense with Nvidia driver downloads. They could not remember the exact wording. Just a guess you might have done the same thing. Both computers ended up with a trojan virus.

Try running,
http://www.superantispyware.co.....rhome.html
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/
One computer I was able to save this way the other one needed reinstall. Either way won't hurt to see what scans find.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.