The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

RunDLL32 Usage

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Macroe
  • Latest reply from Macroe
  • Topic Viewed 956 times

Macroe

* RunDLL32.exe is a program that will "Run a DLL as an App" * Is it useful for anything ?* What DLL's that you run with it will do anything ?* Do you need an entry point in the target DLL to get anywhere ?* Can you direct the output of a DLL to say stdout or a file ?* Can you chain one process to another (stdout -> stdin) ?* Is it a way to run a process in a DOS (cmd) environment ?* What use is running a Dynamic Link Library as a (standalone) application ?* In short , what good is it ?*

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-running/

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Here's what the HowtoGeek has to say about it. What is rundll32.exe And Why Is It Running?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Same Link ??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I prettied mine up, thus took longer. Was doing it at the same time.

Posted 1 year ago

Macroe

Saturday, 2012 October 06 - 00:48:33 (day#280)

* Hi everyone * Thank you for your responses/replies , they are most appreciated * Occasionally , when I stumble upon something that Windows is doing that I have-not seen before , I become curious * RunDLL32 is one of those mysterious actions * The more I learn about how Windows does things , the more trouble I can get myself into : ) * Since I always have one computer to experiment on and don't care if I blow it up , I'm always willing to try new things * And when I fiddle with something long enough and don't get very far , I try to get the answer on the inet * The article > What is rundll32.exe And Why Is It Running? < is a general explanation of how RunDLL32 works but it's not very penetrating * I actually read this article before asking my question * I glean that RunDLL is more a programmer's call than a standalone executable * That's likely why I couldn't get it to do anything useful by itself * See "DLL Entry Points" (post-310717) in forum "Geek Stuff" for my other post on this topic *

* Again , thanks for your help *

Mac

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.