• Topic Viewed 13007 times

whs
whs

">

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Nice tutorial. I did see a few problems though:
1. Both the Virtual Box and Virtual PC sections link to the Microsoft Virtual PC download page.
2. Being a PDF is a bit inconvenient for people with browsers that require PDFs be saved to the computer before being viewed.
This happened to me as I use Google Chrome and it doesn't seem to support viewing PDFs in the browser Window.
I would suggest creating a page on the How-To Geek wiki and linking to the page from this topic if possible.
3. It would be more consistent to call the tutorial "Install Windows 7 beta to a Virtual Machine" and refer to a "Virtual Hard Drive" instead of a "Virtual Partition" as this is what the Virtuallization software calls those things.

I can fix those problems myself and upload the new version to wiki if it's ok with you. I would need the images and Word document as Adobe Reader doesn't allow easy copying though.

Edit: Thinking about it, due to the usefulness to average user who wants to try Windows 7 this may be worthy of a home page/newsletter article instead of or in addition to the wiki page/PDF file.
That would be up to The Geek to decide though.

Edit 2: One other small thing to note about the tutorial is the part "I chose not to install any security suite to save processing capacity. For one, I do not intend to do extensive work on the internet with W7, and secondly, should I catch some malware, I just kill this virtual partition and reinstall the whole system in a new virtual partition,".
That is not entirely true. If you share any folders on Windows Vista host that the Windows 7 virtual machine can access then it's possible a network aware piece of malware could corrupt the shared files.
Note: If the share is password protected and you aren't connected to in the Windows 7 virtual machine then that could not happen.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jd, thank you very much for the input:
1. I am glad you found that one. What a mistake. I really feel bad, but I fixed it quickly.
2. Good suggestion. I have to study the intricacies of the wiki. The document is quite big and then there are all the pictures. The original is a .docx.
3. a) Correct, but that is a major piece of work - especially with the fancy picture. I'll think about it.
b) "Virtual partition" is an old tradition of mine from my IBM times with VM in the 70's. But I understand, the world has progressed.

Edit 1: The Geek seems to be busy right now. He said he would do it later.
Edit 2: True, this may be a little misleading. I don't worry too much about these things because I do frequent Norton Ghost images. But for other people that may be risky.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

whs:
1. Ok.
2. Ok, it shouldn't be too hard to copy and paste the text and upload the pictures to the wiki. Though the formatting could be a problem.
a) It doesn't seem like it would be too hard, just CTRL+H to open "Find and Replace" in Word to fix it and then in your image editor you just add text boxes to the picture with a white background containing the new text, place that new text box on top of the old one and it's changed.
b) Ok, I checked that out as I had not heard of that before. Wikipedia says that "Virtual Machine" was defined in 1974 and I can't seem to find anything listing "Virtual Partition" as a valid definition except that Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V keeps Virtual Machines in what it calls "Child Partitions" which is similar.
A Google search for "Virtual Partition" seems to say it now means a hard drive partition that lives in a Virtual Machine Hard Drive file. Which is actually what I thought your tutorial referred to at first which seemed a bit confusing.

Posted 5 years ago

jjcb

Very interesting stuff here. I am a beta tester of 7 (64bit) and I initially tried to run it inside Sun VirtualBox as a guest but immediately hit a wall. Seems VB does not recognize Core 2 duo PCs as amd64 compatible and tells you straight out that it won't run. Well, it does run very nicely from a partition. I get the same results from VB each time I try and run a x86_64 offering from the Linux community. I just get an error stating that the host PC is only a "i586" type and not capable of running a x86/64 OS. Another quirk I run into with VB is that it continually asks me to change the host computer's color from 24 to 32 bit when it is always in 32bit. Any others out there encounter problems of this nature with VB or am I just blessed?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jjcb, thanks for the additional information. I was not aware of the 64bit problem since I never ran it. I did. however, see the 32/24 quirk. I just ignored it.

Posted 5 years ago

ccm58

Thanks for the PDF tutorial. I installed Windows 7 RC in VirtualBox but got no sound. The PDF tutorial says : "Drivers – Not all drivers were installed automatically. But it was possible to install then in Device Manager. The audio driver needed to be pushed a couple of times."

How do I push the audio driver to get the sound in Windows 7?

I also installed XP earlier in VirtualBox but cannot delete it later because of an error message saying there are snapshots. Deleting snapshots also failed. I had to uninstall VirtualBox to delete XP.

I think the PDF tutorial should cover how to install audio and how to delete an OS from VirtualBox.

Posted 5 years ago

nu2win7
nu2win7

whs - this is the second time I see you say "I was not aware of the 64bit problem since I never ran it" ...

I like what you are trying to do to help people but 'people' must be sure to know what you know and what you do not know.

quote from whs:

jjcb, thanks for the additional information. I was not aware of the 64bit problem since I never ran it. I did. however, see the 32/24 quirk. I just ignored it.

BE CAREFUL ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE :-(

Edit by mod. FOR YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT SOME OF THE SOLUTIONS YOU GET.

Posted 3 years ago

myztic
myztic

nice ......

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.