The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Run Win7 and Win 8 with two monitors, one mouse, sound and keyboard

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LeMarsMan
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 429 times

LeMarsMan

I have two towers. Win7 and Win8. Just got Win8. Win7 with two monitors-I need to keep that as my main computer. Any ideas on the best way to run both Win7 & win8 using the same mouse, monitors, keyboard, etc?

Thanks

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You need a device called a KVM switch for two monitors with sound, something like this. http://accessories.us.dell.com....._pla_SO46.

Just Google two computer two monitor kvm with sound

Personally I use a 4-place x kvm for my XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 setup with 3 monitors. 2 for windows 8 (1 & 3), 2 for Windows 7 (2 & 3), 1 for xp (3) and 1 for vista (3) with the kvm switch on monitor 3. I have speakers for each computer separately.

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

I have heard of software that does this. I image a KVM switch is the best.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is your best option.

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

If I got a simple KVM switch (most dual monitor KVMs are very spendy) and hooked it up to one monitor, would it not still work somewhat. Win7 would be main computer with two monitors. Win8 would be secondary and would only work with the one monitor.

Would this work? I probably described it badly.

Thanks.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I haven't really investigated what's available now, but I used to build my own, according to my needs. Principal is the same. Just do the research I guess.

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

I have an old KVM that worked well. I will try that.

When you speak of research, that is what I consider asking questions on this forum.

Have a nice Holiday.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Well Xhi said what he uses. I don't use one now, but have in the distant past. So maybe other members will chime in.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.