The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - run cmd as administrator....

(28 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Dcw329
  • Latest reply from Dcw329
  • Topic Viewed 205583 times

Dcw329

how do you set the cmd to always run as administrator... it wont let me go to properties, run as administrator...

there must be a way... right?

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

o ya... and i dont want to have to right click it... i want it to be set for always run as administrator...fyi

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

By cmd do you mean cmd.exe the Command Prompt or some command?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

If you are talking about the Command Prompt, I have a shortcut on my desktop for cmd.exe. On that shortcut, I have modified the Advanced properties to enable Run as Administrator. You can also pin such a shortcut to your start menu.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

ScottW is correct. If you want screenshots:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I find it most practical to have all those "utilities" like Command Prompt in my Quick Launch. From there they are the easiest to access.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

That same shortcut that I created could also be dragged to the Quick Launch bar to use whs's method. Or, it could be created there in the first place. Either way, another advantage of whs's method is the ability to use the Quick Launch hotkeys, Win+1, Win+2, etc. to launch those apps.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

hey... i see the [image] button for htg... but im not sure of the address im suppose to put in to get it to show up... i know how to do it if the pick is online, but how do i do it if its in a folder? when i can do picks, ill show you the problem...(i know how to screen shot... just need to upload the pick)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

To post a picture, it needs to be hosted online. If you have web space of your own you can use that. Most people get an account on a free image hosting site such as http://imageshack.us or http://photobucket.com etc. and upload pictures there. These sites provide a URL to the image and that's what you put in as the link for the Image button.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

In case you want to use Photobucket, here is the procedure:

1. Create your account at http://photobucket.com/ - real easy
2. Use the folder with your name on it or create a subfolder (recommended). You do that on the left side where it says "New Album" > Save
3.Go to "Upload Images and Videos", somewhere in the middle. Now click on "Choose Files". This will most likely bring up your "Pictures" folder (but you can select another folder). Double click on the file you want to upload. After a few seconds you will see it.
4. If you want to post this picture directly on the Forum, click on IMG Code (last link). If you only want to post the link to the picture, click on Direct link. Note: the thing will get yellow - then you got it in your clipboard (from where you Paste).
5. Now you can paste this into your HTG posting. If you chose IMG, the picture will only show up AFTER you posted. In the posting you will only see the link. If you chose "Direct link", it will just be a link.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

this is what i have... if you look at the compatiblity tab, everything is greyed out... and if you look at the other two pics, The Geek said go to advanced, but neither of the advanced buttons look like what i saw in his pic... what should i do, or what am i not seeing? i must be missing somthing...

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Go to All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > right click on Command prompt > then you should see the scenario in my pic below. Just do 1,2,3 > OK > APPLY > OK.
PS. Next time you snip, save the pic in PNG - That's much better to read than JPG (see my pic)

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

ya... after i put my pics up... i went back and reread the comments... somebody said they did it from there desktop... well... i put a shortcut on my desktop and tried it... i get those new tabs...

i tried fiddleing with it for awhile, and i relized, i dont get those options if i rightclick from stardock... but i do if i right click from desktop... and i cant move the shortcut from the desktop to the stardock without it turning back off... im trying now to fiddle with it...

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Just do what I said above. It does not matter where your shortcuts finally end up. It will work in any case - except when you start the CMD.exe directly (which one normally does not do).
Update: But it does also work with the shortcut on the desktop. So I suppose you are all set.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

here is a pic of my dual screen setup... you can see the stardock on the left... when i right click it i get a differnet properties... and if i change something on the right... nothing happens to the one on the left... i think if i turn UAC off then it should "ungrey" the stuff on compatablity on the right, and i can click "run as administator" and turn it back on... i think i will try it in a minute... but why is it different for one, and the same as yall for the other?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have no idea what happens with dual screen. Sorry, I can't help you here.

Posted 5 years ago

Dcw329

i dont think its the dual screen... i think its the stardock... (the funny looking taskbar on the left)... but if your just not sure, ill just keep messing with it untill somthing happens... thanks for telling me how to add pics... that will help in the future...

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Turning off UAC will not affect that tab. The tab is disabled due to cmd.exe being a Windows componet. This is good because if you could set that then everything that uses cmd.exe like batch files would run as an administrator.
What you want to do is make a shortcut to cmd.exe with that setting somewhere. So just that shortcut runs as administrator. Then remove the current cmd.exe item from the Dock you have and then add the shortcut to the dock.

Posted 5 years ago

sourpuss

You're right...it is Objectdock. I just tried it and you don't get the shortcut options when you add the shortcut to OD. And even if you set the shortcut properties on the desktop to run as admin, you lose it when you move that shortcut to OD. If you just click on it, assuming that the properties stay as set on the desktop, you'll see as soon as the cmd window comes up that you are not running as admin.

I don't know if there's any workaround for that...have you tried Rocketdock or RKLauncher if you really want to run it from a dock? Maybe the properties on one of those docks is different. Actually, I'll check it out and see...I've got both :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You could make your own dock by dragging the folder with the shortcuts into the top or the sides - you have to push it really in.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!