SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

"Run as Administrator" Vista Annoyance -- Gone from Windows 7?

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 20815 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

For those using the Windows 7 beta, is the "Run as Administrator" Vista annoyance gone from Windows 7? By this, I mean opening certain applications only to get a dialog alerting the user the application must be run in administrator mode. (For example, doing almost anything from command prompt.) I can understand the feature users that the UAC and what will be Windows 7 full-blown UAC was useful for, but for many users, the feature is simply un-needed and often annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

cas34
cas34

I cannot comment on windows 7 as I am not running it nor have I messed around with it. With regards to the "run as administrator" annoyance, I found a way round this annoyance.

You type command prompt in "start search" and right click the application and select "run as administrator" (how ironic :P) Once the DoS window appears it should read "c:\Windows\system32>" now type this in and hit enter "net users Administrator /active:yes" and hit enter. This will create a new and improved admin account and should resolve the annoyance. Sorry if you already knew this.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

I actually did know about that, but thank you anyway. I don't think however, someone should have to enable the administrator account to keep Vista (and hopefully Windows 7) from telling the user he or she has to run the application as administrator when he or she has administrator privileges.

Posted 5 years ago

cas34
cas34

I totally agree with you m8 and it totally had me baffled when I first enountered it but thanks to some kind souls on the forums I managed to resolve the issue :)

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

If you want to use the command prompt to do any administrative tasks, you'll still need to run as administrator... But you could set the shortcut to always run as administrator, and then your command prompt would work, and not prompt you.

The difference in Windows 7 is that UAC is "silent" when you are making configuration changes, and only bugs you when installing software. Otherwise, it actually works the same internally.

I've found that it's definitely a lot more pleasant.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

And what it looks like:

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.