How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Run as Administrator.

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by StokesleyLad
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 351 times

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Can anyone clear up this point for me please.
I've been using W7 since day one of it's UK release. It is installed on my home computer with only one account assigned to me exclusively as Administrator and no Guest Account. I was under the impression that when I Boot-up the PC/OS would be running to My Account as Administrator. So why do I have too, from time to time select Run as Administrator from the Menu???
Thank you.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Cos Windows has far too much security. To make the system truly yours involves a lot of work, and some danger. One wrong step, and dead computer.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

It's part of Windows 7 protecting. Are you running with UAC running? (User Account Control)
Once you have run the program and you have clicked 'yes', in future it should run (a shield will be seen on some apps) in elevated mode.
As I am the only user on this machine I turned UAC off.

Right click the app, select 'run as' and window will remember.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, to be honest you are 'not the administrator' but in a group that has 'some' administrator privileges.

On top of that, there is the 'hidden' Administrator, and also for file/folder owner a 'trusted installer'. All with different rights and access privileges.

For the HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR enablement, check HERE.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Thank you both Lighthouse & Vistamike, That clearly explains that. Yes I do run with 'UAC' and from your answer I will consider turning it off.
Regards.
Norman.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I always turn UAC off, even then, it is a lot of work to give you full control. But if you do it as you need it, not so bad.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.