Router Web history

(3 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Inquisition
  • Latest reply from webdorq
  • Topic Viewed 5523 times

Inquisition
Inquisition

Hi. I just got a new ZyXel PK5000z modem/router for my Qwest DSL
I noticed a peculiar "feature" built-in; It remembers EVERY web page I visit.
I don't necessarily want my history to be remembered. I'm sure that if Qwest wanted to, they could do the same from their end, but I see no need to make it easy for them.
I found an article that describes how to do it from a telnet command line, but All I get is a menu. I'm not at all sure how to get to a command line from here:

Here's what the article said to do:
Escape character is '^]'.

BusyBox on (none) login: youradminusername
Password:

BusyBox v0.61.pre (2006.02.18-05:21+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

#

Ok, so now you’re in. You’ll want to change to the directory where the log is hidden:

# cd /var/tmp

The file you’re looking for is log_web_activity. First, you’ll have to remove the file so that we can make it point to something harmless:

# rm log_web_activity

Now, and this is important, in order to prevent the log from being written to, you need to create a symbolic link from the old file name to /dev/null (if you know nothing about Linux/Unix/whatever, think of it as a lovely black hole to which you’ll be shipping your data). If none of that made any sense to you, fear not. Just type what I tell you to type. Afterwards, that pesky file should disappear for good!

# ln -s /dev/null log_web_activity

Now log out of the modem, and you’re home free:

# exit

How do I get to this command line? If not by using this method, does anyone have any suggestions on how to disable this log?

Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Read article and ALL COMMENTS.

http://blog.kgrothoff.org/2006.....ivity-log/

Have NO idea if this would work ????

telnet 192.168.0.1

*username/password* (these must be set in advanced>remote Telnet in the GUI, you can leave the “remote telnet” option disabled though.)

sh (typing “sh” takes you out of the telnet shell and into the full busybox shell)

cd /var

rm webActivityLog

ln -s /dev/null webActivityLog (if you don’t do this immediately after the previous command, it will say “file exists” just make sure nobody is using the network while you are doing this to help avoid that problem)

exit

exit (you have to type “exit” twice to get out of the busybox shell, then telnet)

===============

I would get rid of that device !!!!

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

webdorq

I got stuck at the same screen. The tutorial you referenced was for an older modem. I'm guessing they've stepped up their evil game since 2006.

With 2 censorship bills on the hill, the point of logging web activity is becoming clear. This is the best I have been able to do with the pk5000z

Set admin password on the modem- someone with physical access cannot see web log
Reboot modem to clear log
Hide activity from ISP with VPN, ssh proxy, tor browser

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!