The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Rootkit problem

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by redmadman3000
  • Latest reply from bubbatie1
  • Topic Viewed 966 times

redmadman3000

Malwarebytes keeps finding a single rootkit in my system I can't seem to get rid of, firefox 13, It started this afternoon on the tail end of a torrent.

I thought I was rid of it so I didn't bother to memorize the name, but it keeps showing up in the appdata folder whenever I turn my modem back on (I know that because when I ran a scan specifically on the appdata folder before turning my modem back on there wasn't anything there.)

Posted 1 year ago

redmadman3000

It's called Rootkit.0access

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=4 Try looking at this link. What you have from what I have read is very nasty and a difficult removal.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Rootkit.0access is very difficult and from past experience I have seen it via Torrent downloads (one reason I don't torrent).
If you have your data backed up then you should think about a reinstall of your Operating System.
I really think there is no short term resolve other than a complete reinstall.
This might sound severe, but without a backup image, that is what you are left with.

Unless you have an image to restore?

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Mike, image might also be infected?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

An earlier image.
And he should stop pirating software.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

'Unless you have an image to restore?' A previous image/backup from which the OP might be able to restore his system.
Torrents always cause this problem, so always create an image beforehand

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Odd that I have not seen this Trojan mentioned on HTG before. Hopefully pirating is on a decrease. Lesson should be learned by this OP. and others reading this thread.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Trojans and rootkits will not go away, in fact they multiply daily. Torrent and the the way torrent works is always going to have a problem.
Torrenting through legal and trusted sites is completely different.
Pirating really is the problem, software, music, game and movie downloads.
Whether we will see a decrease remains to be seen but I hope it will.

The OP probably knew the risks then came here for a resolve.
But if the download was illegal, I have no sympathy.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

redmadman3000

Only behavior so far is only being detectable when my modem is on. Other than that computer is behaving normally.

I was downloading an anime episode.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

You need to rid yourself of the trojan. http://www.sophos.com/en-us/pr.....otkit.aspx try this first.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Trojans and rootkits will not go away, in fact they multiply daily. From Mikes post above.

Posted 1 year ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

Hello redmadman3000

You can refer to this video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KlPBv0yp8

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@redmadman3000, Unless you are familiar with the registry, or at least have a back up of it, would not recommend above video.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@redmadman3000 ,

Type mrt into the search function on the start menu.
One of the things its designed to detect and remove/fix is siref style rootkits.

As Warlock says the registry could be a minefield as these rootkits tend to change their placements so no two versions will be in the same place.

Posted 1 year ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

@redmadman3000,

If you don't have it, You need to install MRT (Malicious Software Removal Tool) from here A detailed guide could be found here... If the MRT Trick doesn't work, Then you can try out the video I've posted above (As others suggest, You'll have to format your computer anyway... So why not give it a try ??).. All the best !!

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

PreetamD,

I have noticed in several threads on here you have always stated "Please Mark this topic as solved if the problem is over...." i think we have experience Moderators that know when to close a thread or not. Please refrain from making the obvious statement above.

Thank you,

John Meeks

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

PreetamD,

Again, as i stated before we have Moderators to make the above decision about closing threads or topics at last check YOU are not a moderator. If you are wondering why i am bringing this up? It's simple, it's irritating to me and other people to see you downgrade the Moderator's job by what you keep on saying after ever post. I am not a Moderator well, let me rephrase that technically i guess you could say that i am the Head Geek of the accessibility forum. If you keep on doing this and posting illegal links like you have been i will request that you have a 30 day ban from this site. End of discussion.

John Meeks

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

How about this, redmadman3000....
http://downloadcenter.trendmic.....#undefined

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

awesome list lh assembled

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!