How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

@Rick

(28 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 832 times

hArLtRoN

@Rick,
Thanks for the Parted Magic ISO. I have the latest Rufus. I've done a few clean installs the past few days so I have it. I will take a look at he PE/RE Tools.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Norton was a 'pig' on slow computers of the time frame you mentioned. It worked 'OK' on faster machines then, but not the low end ones. By worked I mean it didn't bog you down and KNOW it was running. Today, well, both its engine is much better, probably core and thread driven, and of course, computers are faster, more powerful, and have more RAM. However, that 6 year old computer would probably still have a problem even with today's version. I would think anyone with a fast, 3Ghz or faster P4, or any duo-core or higher with enough RAM so the OS they are running doesn't swap would be fine with today's version.

Thunderbird, well I like it because I KEEP my e-mail on my computer, not on a server somewhere. I started using it eon's ago, when Outlook was barebones as an e-mail client and I never liked IE and used Netscape which also had an e-mail client. The Outlook that shipped with Windows wasn't as good as TB, but in later years the Outlook that came with the Office Suite was probably just as good. TB of course has many add-ons that you can use. Eudora which is no longer being updated or possibly supported is probably just as good too. Use what you like, but if you think your present e-mail client had short-comings, try TB. A desktop e-mail client is better than ANY Web based client.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Irv,
I've stuck with free anti-virus for probably 3+ years so I haven't had a chance to look or use the paid ones (mainly cause I don't have the money).

A desktop e-mail client is DEFINITELY better than web. I think I gave TB a try years ago but I didn't know much about this stuff back then. Is there a way that I can use TB on two different computers (ex: Laptop and Desktop) and have everything sync right?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am just the opposite of Irv. I don't like to have my mail on my systems. That is a pain to sync across systems and tablets and everytime you reinstall for some reason or another, the mail seems to be the most difficult to save.

I use AOL since I started with PCs and have never lost a single mail item. These guys know much better how to manage my files than me. No need to install AOL on your system - I run it thru the IE. And I can access my mail from any systems - my tablet included. The additional advantage of AOL is that they have an extra security layer.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You could try an email sorting desktop client Shawn. I've used Emailtray for the last 3 or 4 years.

Download: http://www.emailtray.com/

Features: http://www.emailtray.com/blog/.....emailtray/

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Shawn, I use it on my main computer. On the other one and my iPad I do NOT delete the messages off of the server (always an option), only my mail computer can do that. Rarely get e-mail on my other computer so it isn't a true problem, it is used only in case of emergency, like my main one is down. The iPad used randomly in the house and of course when traveling. You can also sync with THIS APP if you want.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I think I'm going to give EmailTray a whirl since it has an Android app and that's what my phone runs off.

EDIT: I downloaded EmailTray and I think I'm gonna try Outlook or Thunder Bird. I have 3 accounts I need to have mail from and EmailTry doesn't organize it the way I would like. Thanks though for the suggestion :)

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

Oops, just missed the 30 min edit window.

I think I'm gonna use Thunderbird on my main desktop and then the web version on my laptop and the Hotmail app for my phone (all my accounts are through M$).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.