The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - @Rick

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1146 times

whs

hArLtRoN, 'offset' is a parameter in 'create partition' that makes the partition start after the offset. E.g. in your case, it would be 'offset=100000000' because the first partition is 100GB.

On the other hand, it says in the diskpart description:" If no offset is given, the partition is placed in the first disk extent that is large enough to hold it." But I am not 100% sure what that means. It could be that the partition is then put into the next available freespace - or not.

That's why I suggested to go the safe route and define that partition later with Disk Management.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

create partition primary [size=<n>] [offset=<n>] [id={ <byte> | <guid> }] [align=<n>] [noerr]

size=<n>

Specifies the size of the partition in megabytes (MB). If no size is given, the partition continues until there is no more unallocated space in the current region.

offset=<n>

The offset in kilobytes (KB), at which the partition is created. If no offset is given, the partition will start at the beginning of the largest disk extent that is large enough to hold it.

align=<n>

Aligns all partition extents to the closest alignment boundary. Typically used with hardware RAID Logical Unit Number (LUN) arrays to improve performance. <n> is the number of kilobytes (KB) from the beginning of the disk to the closest alignment boundary.

NO Size, Offset or Align needed on Second Partition.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Rick, what exactly does this mean:" the partition will start at the beginning of the largest disk extent that is large enough to hold it." Does that mean at the next available unallocated space ??

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Yes, the First partition will size and align as the script we gave and the Second partition will begin where the first stops and fill to the remainder of the disk if no size is given.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

OK, thanks. I guess I was thrown off by the wording "disk extent". Foreign language is difficult language - LOL.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

New Tip:

When running Windows 8 with SSDs, can now leave Defrag Enabled as New Defrag Program Trims SSDs. :) :)

Posted 2 years ago

whs

That's good to know. But I have no plans for Windows 8.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

The offset makes sense now. Thanks :)

Posted 2 years ago

whs

@Rick, I found this additional explanation regarding the defrag of SSDs in Windows 8:

"In Windows 8, when the Storage Optimizer (the new defrag tool) detects that the volume is mounted on an SSD - it sends a complete set of trim hints for the entire volume again - this is done at idle time and helps to allow for SSDs that were unable to cleanup earlier - a chance to react to these hints and cleanup and optimizer for the best performance. We do not do a traditional defrag (moving files to optimizer there location for space and performance) on SSDs."

Source

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.