The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Retrieving files from a .mig file

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bailes
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 33697 times

bailes

I moved from 32-bit Windows7 Beta to 64-bit Windows7 RC recently using a clean install. Unfortunately, I depended on the beta's Easy Transfer utility to save documents, pictures, Visual Studio projects, etc. I do not recall any warning that restoring was only possible on a machine running the same OS as the save occurred on. In any case, all of documents, photos, projects, etc. are now locked in a .mig file that I cannot open. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

I hope you get an answer. I completed the first half of the transfer
last night and got tired before installing x64. Watching this closely.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

bailes, hello. So, what happens in Win7 RC when you try to load the .mig file in Windows Easy Transfer? The steps are:

Easy Transfer -> Next -> "An external hard disk..." -> "This is my new computer" -> Yes

Now you should see a file open window asking for a *.mig file and you browse to where yours is saved, select it, and click the Open button. Is that what you are doing?

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

You can google this, it seems to be legit but only on torrents so scan before opening. "Microsoft SaveData.MIG Extraction Tool for Windows Easy Transfer".
@mods, as far as I know this was written by a private person, therefore legal!! If not then please delete my post, Matt

Posted 4 years ago

bailes

ScottW,

I followed all the steps as you describe, and the process gets as far as being ready to start the Transfer. When I try to transfer, I get a message that the disk is full. Upon investigation, I discover it is trying to restore to a 4GB partition (D:\) rather than the 220GB (C:) partition (this is a Dell Inspiron laptop with one 250GB hard drive. On the Advanced Options tab where I can choose the disk to which I want to restore, the C: partition is listed but grayed out even though it has 132 GB of free space. The D: partition is the only choice that is active, and there is nothing I can do to change that. Since the C: partition is the one that was "backed up" by WET, I would think that would be the default restore partition, but it is "unavailable". I've tried running WET in administrative mode - no difference. The .mig file is about 40GB and it is mostly .jpg, .docx, .xlsx, and VS projects. My assumption is that C: is grayed out because it contains the active 64-bit version of Windows7RC when the backup was done from a 32-bit version of Windows7 Beta.

You seem to know what you are doing, so I'm hoping you have a suggestion that will help. I will try madmac's suggestion if nothing can be resolved. I was hoping to use WET which would seem to offer the greatest hope of the maximum recovery. Thanks in advance.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I think that it's a safe bet that the "disk is full" message comes from trying to unpack 40 GB of, um, stuff into a 4 GB container.

I just ran a little experiment here, backing up my user data in Win7 with Easy Transfer, then starting a restore procedure. At the screen titled, "Choose what to transfer to this computer", I click on the Advanced Options button and look at the Map Drives tab and my C: drive is grayed out also:

I believe that this is normal -- data from the old C: drive is going to be written to the new C: drive. Since you can't change that, it's grayed out. On the Map User Accounts tab it shows that my old "Scott" profile data is going to be written to my existing "Scott" profile. What are you seeing?

Posted 4 years ago

bailes

ScottW,

I am seeing very much what you are except that my C: drive has 132GB free. I'm sure it must be trying to restore to the 4GB D: drive which is, obviously, impossible. But if the C: drive has plenty of open space and if it is the default (the system drive) for the restore, why does the transfer fail? My map user accounts tab does show the same mapping as yours (with bailes replacing Scott) on both the source and target sides.

Wouldn't it be nice if messages were explicit enough to provide useful information.

Several possibilities occur to me. Some or all of them may be happening or maybe none of them are happening.

1. The change in "bit-ness" prevents C: from being used.
2. Though the restore is going to the default C: drive, WET is trying to use the D: drive as a temporary work area and it is insufficient in size - however that hasn't changed since WET did the backup to an external drive, and it would make sense if the backup processed used approximately the same resources as the restore.
3. Something changed in WET between the beta version and the RC version (due to the 32-bit vs 64-bit situation - or not) and the RC version cannot manage the file built with the older version.
4. There is a bug in WET in Windows7 that has not been resolved yet.
5. Something about the security setup in Windows7 RC is making WET see the free space on C: as being inaccessible to it. I have tried running WET as an administrator with identical results.

In any case, based on the number of hits on Google (or Live Search) of people unable to recover data from .mig files, Microsoft should certainly have some KB articles on the matter and a tool to assist in the recovery. This is an example of why lots of people don't have a lot of trust in Microsoft software.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

bailes, it seems that WET will not transfer data from a 64-bit install to a 32-bit install. Since you are going the other way, there is no restriction and the problem is not the bit-ness.

Just to confirm, on the Map User Accounts tab, it is showing:

bailes => bailes

and on the Map Drives tab it looks something like this:

C: 40 GB selected => Windows7 (C:) 132 GB available

And the "Windows 7 (C:)" to the right of the arrow is grayed out. Is that right? Can you see that the amount of selected data is less than the available data? Are there any other drive mappings shown (e.g. D: => D: or E: => E: etc.)?

If the mapping is correct, that 40 GB of the "old" data are being restored to the 132 GB of available space, then something else is wrong. Do you get a Transfer report file? Right next to the shortcut to Easy Transfer in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories is a shortcut to the reports.

Somewhere in my travels, I read a thread where an MS employee asked a user with a .mig file that they couldn't open to send the file to him. From the way I read it, I believe that the .mig extraction tool available on bittorrent is a MS internal use only tool that has been leaked. I agree that they should make an extractor available to the general public. Even easier, they should use a standard compression format (zip, rar, 7z, etc.) so that folks could open their own .mig files and MS would not have to support an extraction tool.

Posted 4 years ago

bailes

ScottW,

Everything you said in your post above is true. In the drive mapping, the C: drive with 132GB of free space is listed but grayed out. The only other "drive" that shows is D: (a small partition on the same physical drive as C:). There is no other hard disk or partition on the laptop, and no external drives or network mapped drives show up so no other drive is listed.

Thank you for the suggestion about the report. I just tried that, and it says I have completed no transfers so there is no report to view.

I'll have to try the tool available via bittorrent. Thank you for all of your efforts. Boy, do I agree about the standard formats!

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

When you say the other drive D: shows, is that in the Map Drives tab? Does it look like my screen shot above, with two drives mapped C and D? If the D: drive is the one returning disk is full, maybe there is too much data being transferred to it.

I hope you get your data out of that .mig file, but I also wish that we could uncover the source of this mysterious behavior.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!