How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Retrieve data lost after chkdsk

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by greendrhyde
  • Latest reply from greendrhyde
  • Topic Viewed 587 times

greendrhyde

Hi

My WD 320Gig external drive was giving probs so I ran chkdsk on it, the problem is that the data is there but incomplete. The file names are unchanged, the extensions are unchanged but I cannot open any files. To make matters worse I cannot open the drive in windows anymore. It gives me an error Drive is not accessible, Access is denied.I have booted up in Linux and backed up the drive

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

The backup you have can you access the files on that

Posted 1 year ago

greendrhyde

Yeah I can

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

If you have everything you need backed up, I'd try formatting the drive.

Posted 1 year ago

greendrhyde

The problem is dual
1. I need to be able to use the files that I have backed up; the files seem to be incomplete and I need them to be working
2. I cannot access the drive and I have not formatted it because I maybe would need to run some software on the drive to retrieve the data.

WD diagnostics has been run on the drive after the disaster and has shown the drive to be with no bad sectors.

Posted 1 year ago

greendrhyde

Here is my problem. I need the data and the files appear to be damaged. I have already offloaded the files and I just cannot get the photos, the excel files the pdfs, the audio files.

If I format the drive and then run a recovery software like probably Easeus will I be able to see the original data?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

In my opinion there is no way to recover the data. Chkdsk has probably replaced bad sectors with spares and the data integrity on some files has been lost. The only thing to do if the data is really important is to find a professional data recovery business and send it to them. That process is quite expensive.

Posted 1 year ago

greendrhyde

But if the professional data recovery guys can do it there must be a method to do it. I'm trying to ask advice from the forum if anyone would know what the professionals do know

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It's not what they know, it is that they have the tools, physical tools, not software tools, to take the disks apart, spin them separately, etc. etc. Things that we/you are not capable of doing.

In any event I still do not think it is possible even with those capabilities. Your disk was damaged. You are tilting at windmills here.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

One a file is damaged, it can be quite tough to recover. CHKDSK creates .CHK files when it finds bad 'sectors'. Using a BINARY HEX editor you can read these. If they came out of a TEXT file, real 'easy' if you know how to reassemble files that is, to put the original back in place. However, once CHKDSK has does its thing, you shouldn't find bad sectors, and this is part of the problem. Where in a file do the .CHK remnant go, and to which file.

Recovery companies do have sophisticated tools and machines that can recover LOST data. They basically read the residual magnetism on the drive.

The best tool you can have is a backup solution, before the problem happens. For item that are 'keepsake' and not replaceable like pictures, burn DVD's and put them in a safe deposit box.

What you are describing is not bad sectors but corrupted data I think? If you lose power disk files can be corrupted, same for powering off without shutting down, such as in a power failure situation.

Irv S.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

greendrhyde

I ran the command chkdsk f:/r ... real dumb of me rite

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!