How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Restoring Wireless Network Connection

(8 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Eternity
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 11282 times

Eternity
Eternity

Question: "How do I restore (or reconnect) to my laptop's wireless network connection without having to restart the computer?"

Details: I have a new Acer laptop with Windows Vista, and I have wireless Internet access when I first start my computer. However, after exactly 12 hours, the wireless network disconnects every time, and I need to restart my computer to regain Internet access again. Why does it disconnect automatically after 12 hours? It also disconnects whenever I put my computer on standby/sleep/hibernate and then turn it 'on' again. Either scenario, the only solution I know of right now to regain wireless network access is to restart my laptop. Any help so I don't need to restart my laptop all the time? (I tried the 'Diagnose' button to reset it, but that does not work.)

Thank you for any help!

Michael

PS. My network is securely locked down from others using it.

Posted 7 years ago

FMZ
FMZ

1) right click on Network icon in notification area and select connect to a net work, select your network and connect

or

2) start > connect to > select your network

you can also increase the period of time your broadband router allows you to be connected look for instructions in your router manuals

Posted 7 years ago

thedudester

Have you tried going into device manager and setting the wireless adapter to not use the power management?

It seems like there might be some problem with the wireless adapter going into sleep mode and not coming out of it.

You can also go into the advanced power mode properties and see if network is listed there.

Posted 7 years ago

FMZ
FMZ

right click network icon in notification section > select view status wireless connection > in the activity section select properties > select configure > select power management > deselect "allow the computer to turn of this device to save power"

Posted 7 years ago

Zig
Zig

FMZ you are right this will work.

Posted 6 years ago

Eternity
Eternity

Thank you very much for your help everyone! I will give them a try. (I have to wait 12 hours now to see if it works...)

Posted 6 years ago

r14nicolau

Related to this problem:

I also have a laptop with vista. Everything was working fine with the wireless card, but a few days ago in one specific webpage (www.terra.cl) the photo links can't be open anymore and I am prompted "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

when I run the "diagnose connection problem" it suggests to "reset network adapter "wireless network connection""

When I do so thru the prompt popup window it seems that the computer is working on this (it says "reparing"), but finally it quits and states "there still seems to be a problem..."

I know the wireless card and connection is working 'cause I can surf other sites and I know the links can be open because I have open them from another computer

please advice

thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

r14nicolau,

Please repost your question in a new thread, it will increase your chances of getting a favorable reply.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!