How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Restore Points

(63 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1253 times

ReadandShare

tsmith:

Following the steps I laid out for you earlier... I could configure the space all the way to fill my entire drive (or partition)! Not sure why you are only allowed 26GB maximum? Did you find that out via the command line, or did you click through the steps to configure as I suggested (Control Panel - System - System Protection, ....)?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@tsmith777, Did you try this, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....windows-7/

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

warlock, no since I only have one restore point that is dated today I don't think that will help

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

readandshare, both, followed your steps and whs's cmd post

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Just thought we would see what size it comes up with. And if the old one stays too.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

tsmith:

Curious, while your entire drive is 1TB, did you create a 26GB partition -- and so that becomes the maximum available?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I don't know how to create a partition so the answer is no. I am a total novice when it comes to things like that.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

For now, tsmith, perhaps just leave the setting at 26GB -- and see if that will give you multiple restore points going forward. Truth be told, I find one restore point occupying 7.5GB extraordinarily large. But like I say, let's see how many restore points you can accumulate after a few days -- before your current one drops off...

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Ok

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

tsmith777, have you looked at this http://news.softpedia.com/news.....9154.shtml

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

May be a little late or you have already discarded this but when the restore point box opens and you choose to restore there is a small check box that allows you to search for other restore points. Have you checked that.
One other suggestion is open Ccleaner and select tools > then click on system restore box. There it will show you all restore points stored on your HDD

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

ronniesonora, I have not tried that yet, is it safe?

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

germ-x, Ccleaner only shows one restore point dated yesterday. I don't see a check box to search for all restore points

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Go to system protection > click on the system restore button > then next > in the lower left corner of the system restore box there is a small check box that says show me more restore points. Check this one and it should show all restore points available

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

tsmith777, I haven't used it but being from softpedia I'm sure it's safe.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

germ-x Ok, I found it and it only show the same thing as Ccleaner the one dated yesterday.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

ronniiesonora, Ok I will try it. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Here are a few suggestions that might shed some light on the restore point dissappearing
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrps.html

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ tsmith777

Question for you:

Are you running a third-party defragmentation program ?

Sometimes these types of programs can interfere with the creation and/or delete the Volume Shadow Copies created by System Restore.

For instance, Diskeeper has a Volume Shadow Service (VSS) Compatible Mode defrag, which needs to be turned on.

Speaking of which - you should check to ensure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service on your computer is enabled and set to run on Manual. System restore relies on this service.

You can also create a task in Task Manager to automatically create a restore point at the times you desire.

You can find the step-by-step procedure, along with the script which you can download and run yourself, in the following tutorial from Windows Seven Forums:

"How to Create System Restore Points with a Restart or Windows Task Scheduler"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....artup.html

Hope some of this is helpful.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Volume Shadow Copy service was set on manual but was not started, I started the service

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.