The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Restore Points

(63 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1253 times

tsmith777

Running win7 on a Dell 8500, using Ccleaner, SAS, Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities, and MSE. I don't know if one of these is the culprit or not, but my restore points are being deleted every other day, sometimes it leaves the last one for system safety and sometimes it deletes that one too. any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Something is deleting those restore points... Process of elimination - MSE does not delete restore points. CCleaner can, but only manually by user. Hopefully, others can comment on the rest.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I did the process of elimination and still cannot find the culprit

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If anything, it would be the Glary stuff. I use all the other programs since years and never lost a restore point.

Another problem could be the size of your shadowstorage. If it is too small, old restore points will be deleted to make room for new ones. Check the size of your shadowstorage. The command is:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

whs, how do I check the size of the shadowstorage?

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

tsmith:

1. To check size allocated for restore points: control panel - system - system protection - select the drive (usually your C drive) - configure - then position the slider to reflect the size you want.

2. Separately -- do you run MS Disk Clean? That one can delete restore points too -- if you want it to.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

Yes, I do run ma disk clean

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

The size slider is set in the middle. disk storage 11.55gigs, current usage 7.5gigs

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I am not having the problem with my Toshiba laptop, the setting on it are slider almost completely to the left, total 10.00gigs. usage 1.24gigs. it has 5 restore points that have been there since Jan 14th, so no problem. Also running all of the same applications including Win 7

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Seems to me you have a heck of a lot more data on your Dell??

Dell - set to 11.55 G and current is already using 7.5G -- and that's just one (or perhaps two) restore point(s), correct? Makes sense that your system is deleting old restore point every other day...

Toshiba - set for 10G -- with five restore points using only 1.24 G? Given usage is only a small fraction of total -- then more restore points can accumulate without worries of older ones getting deleted.

Finally, when you run MS Disk Cleanup - do you click on the "More Options" tab to clean system restore points? THAT will erase all restore points except for the most recent one.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

No, I don't click on more options in ms disk clean up, how do I clean up the excess data on the Dell, and fix the deleting of the restore points?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

11.5GB is plenty of shadowstorage. It's good for 12 to 20 restore points (depends on size of data in C)

PS, use CCleaner for cleanup.

Just to let you know, restore points are not very reliable. Use imaging instead: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

whs:

OP said something in his Dell system is clearing out all but one restore points every other day. And yet, out of the 11.55G allocated storage, his one or two remaining restore points are still occupying more than half of that space (7.5G)! So given what he said, then no, his allocation is not adequate at all.

tsmith:

If you want to keep more restoration points, then allocate more space accordingly (say 30G or more) -- or else look at your system and see what is occupying so much space.

How big is your hard disk and how much of it is being used?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

A restore point takes 500MB to 1GB. No idea where the 7.5GBs come from. There must be more than 2 restore points. I wish the OP would look it up in cmd with vssadmin. Any other method is unreliable.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Yes, I was taken back by the 7.5GB figure as well -- but basing on what he said, he shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 restore points if in fact something is deleting those points 'every other day'.

I have two restore points currently, and they occupy about 2G total.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I use Ccleaner daily and that dosen't seem to help, My hard drive is 1T. I currently have one restore point dated today accordng to Ccleaner

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

What I would do is follow the advice of whs above and make a system image. Then can go from there to check on restore point problem.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

You got 1,000GB (1T) -- and you allocate a measly 11GB for your restore points?

1. Go ahead and allocate 30GB for your restore points.
2. As above, if you haven't done a system backup -- do so -- plus make yourself a bootable rescue disk. I like EaseUS. It's reliable, easy to use, and free. Everyone should have both system backup and a couple of Windows restore points.

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

whs, I ran cmd vssadmin and it said it not a valid command and it had little information, it says, delete volume shadow copies,
List registered Volume shadow copy providers, .
List shadows- List existing volume, List shadow storage- List volume shadow copy stroage associations.
List volumes eligable for shadow copies
List subscribed volume shadow copy writers
Resize a volume shadow copy storage

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I have a system backup already and I have a bootable rescue disk. I will change the restore points and make it 30gigs. I tried to change it to 30 gigs, but at max it will only got to 26.25 gigs that is the max it will allow.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!