How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

restore points

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by brad5112
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 536 times

brad5112

hey everyone im a little confused on what to do basically:

i have an acer aspire 5315 running windows vista i want to install windows 7 but i wanted to install a non activated one to see how it copes etc before purchasing a copy.

my question is if i create a restore point now and then install windows 7 will i be able to use my restore point to go back to vista asif nothing had happened ??

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

NO

More information.

The computer is old and will only support 32 Bit Version of Windows 7.

Probably best to stick with what you have until budget allows for more up-to-date computer.

Posted 1 year ago

brad5112

i dont need a better machine its capable.. 32 bit is not a problem either way but keeping in mind that an acer has a hidden partician to restore the laptop to factory settings would that be taken away if so how can i create a full sytem backup ? . thanks for the reply

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Macrium Reflect will take an image backup of your disk. Then you can do whatever you like and replace the image if need be. Then you would be right back where you started.

However as Rick mentioned it may be a futile effort as Windows 7 will not work up to par on and old and slow computer. We would hate to have your impression of a really good Operating System be tainted by trying it on an underpowered computer.

Posted 1 year ago

brad5112

so if i got that it would copy EVERYTHING so can be back to normal ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Yes image the whole disk, all partitions. Then when you put it back it will be exactly as it was.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

*note back up to an external drive.

Posted 1 year ago

brad5112

okay thanks great support and help muchly appreciated

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

With an image you go back to exactly the same point in time to when you took the image. But before you proceed, I suggest you run this test to see whether your PC is supported by Windows 7 :: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....aspx?id=20

Posted 1 year ago

brad5112

ive already done all of the checks etc gonna start moving all my files etc thankyou guys.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If your files are on the C partition, there is no need to move them seperately. They will be part of the image of C.

Alternatively you could make a seperate data partition and move your user files there. Then they will not be affected by an installation of Windows 7 into C.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!