How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Restore factory settings for DELL

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lottynorton
  • Latest reply from lottynorton
  • Topic Viewed 3579 times

lottynorton
lottynorton

Hello all im wanting to restore laptop back to factory settings but when I bought laptop it was bought 2nd hand and was given no disc is there a way or restoring factory settings without a disc the laptop is DELL LATTITUDE D505 thanks in advance.... also when I do restore back what will be on laptop will there be a internet explorer will the drivers all disappear or will it go back to how the factory made it with basically nothing on there the OS is windows xp will that be on there or disappear thanks in advance

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

-Turn on or restart the Dell D505 computer.
-Press the "F8" key repeatedly as the system is starting up. Stop pressing the key when the "Advanced Boot Options" screen appears.
-Click "Repair your computer." Click "Next."
-Click the icon next to "Factory Image Restore." Click "Next."
-Click the check box on the confirmation screen. Click "Next."
-Click "Finish" to restart the computer when the restore process is complete.

Windows, drivers, and configuration will be reset to factory default.
You will have to update Windows (and drivers) once the procedure is finished as there has been many changes since this unit was built.

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

ok thanks for that how do i go around updating the drivers and windows?

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Windows Update for Windows and Dell.com for drivers.

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

thank you very much :) how do i know which driver im updating? not to clued up on this sorry

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Check here http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....itude-d505

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

You need to find out if you still have the factory restore partition image.
Hopefully you can boot into windows. If so see if you have a partition called recovery. You should see this with windows explorer or disk management.
If you don't have the recovery partition image then you will need to find some O/S disks.
What O/S is installed now?

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

Hiya i have windows xp and thank you ronniesonora

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

ok just took a quick look on the link i have been given how do i know what to download do i download what says is recommended as there's quite alot of info and don't want to download things that are not needed and when it gets restored will internet explorer still be on there? if so that will need upgrading to the latest one im only asking these questions so i don't mess things up thanks in advance

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Did you find out if you have the recovery partition image?
If not do you have access to a winxp installation disk"?
You migh want to download all the drivers on that page and burn to a CD for future use. If you look at the dates you can seel there are no recent ones. The latest ones are listed.

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

I will check that in the morning but i dont have a disc and copy what drivers sorry i dont want to cock this up lol and i appreciate your help, so i click every update going that will take me ages lol it says something about BIOS to got to download something for that i just hope i can do it right will internet xplorer be on there when it reboots itself ? ty

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

No internet is on the O/S installation disk and I don't think you can download windows XP installation disk from Dell website.
All the drivers on that site are for after you install your WinXP.
The main driver you need after installing windows is the chipset driver, then you can install the others. Audio,video, network if you have a ethernet and or wireless card on your computer.
You will need a copy of the Windows XP installation disk

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

ok thanks for that will have to contact the bloke who sold me it as he only sells dell wonder why I got no disc but this is what happens when you buy a 2nd hand laptop

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

how do i get chipset driver? so windows xp will be not on here after restore?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

go to dell.com, under support you can download all drivers for your machine for any OSs it supports

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Can you better explain what you are trying to do and what O/S you want when finished.
Does your computer have any O/S on it now if so is it winXP?
If you have windows XP installed now does your computer run windows now?
If your computer is running WinXP now then before you do anything you need to make an image so when you do whatever you want to do and if something fails you have an image you can recover from.
Most 2nd hand / used computers don't come with disks if you purchase from a dealer. They just plug them in and clean them up a little them sell them. If you purchase from a private individual then you might get some disks.

Posted 1 year ago

lottynorton
lottynorton

I just want to restore it back to factory settings and can i run anything on it like vista? but at the moment it is windows XP and yes it runs windows.
What do you mean a image? how do i do that not a computer geek lol !

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Your Factory settings would restore your computer to, as it says factory settings. You would lose all your installed programs that you yourself have put on the machine. Also all the files, IE: music, pictures etc. If you make an image to an external drive you could always put it back to the way it was.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

You haven't answered if your factory default image partition is still on your computer. If it is you will only restore to original WinXp with all the Demo crapware that was installed at the factory.
If you are wanting to run vista you need to run the compatibility check from here
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....px?pr=blog

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.