SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Restore either system image backup or data backup.

(44 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by acooperator
  • Latest reply from acooperator
  • Topic Viewed 3515 times

acooperator

Thank you so much indeed,
But I am still quite confused that the Macrium WinPE ISO file which Wsh has uploaded to SkyDrive is just 154MB. However, the WinPE iso file which I let Macrium download is 1.66GB, although they are the same

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

The 1.7GB file that Macrium downloads during the WinPE recovery CD production is the WAIK and NOT the iso. The WAIK is a Microsoft installation kit that is used to produce the WinPE recovery disk.

The reason I uploaded the ready made WinPE iso file to skydrive is to save you the 2+ hours of WAIK download. The end result is the same. If you had produced it after downloading the WAIK, the resulting recovery file would also be 154MB.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thank you so much indeed, Whs.
However, I have downloaded the WinPE you uploaded to SkyDrive. Then, I have burned it with a burning software. After that, I have booted from it. However, the WinPE didn't reconginse my external hard disk(Destination of my images) while it is connected to a USB3 port.

I really now have two WinPE(one which I have created from your ISO file, the second is from another form)
But both of them didn't recognise my Esternal hard disk while connected to a USB3 port. Though the tittle of the iso file I have donwnloaded from another forum is "Mcrium WinPE iso with USB3"

Second:
@The reason I uploaded the ready made WinPE iso file to skydrive is to save you the 2+ hours of WAIK download. The end result is the same. If you had produced it after downloading the WAIK, the resulting recovery file would also be 154MB. @

I have been still keeping with the 1.7GB file that Macrium downloads during the WinPE recovery CD production is the WAIK. So, Can I return to Macrium and then choose "create scure CD". After that, I will navigate to the location of WAIK. Next, I will complet the rest of steps. Finally: I will get WinPE revoey CD. ISO.
Besides, maybe WinPE recovery CD.iso which will be created by Macrium would recognise my external hard disk connected to a USB3 port.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, there used to be a problem with the USB3 which was supposed to be fixed with the release level of the WinPE I uploaded. Apparently that is not the case. Unfortunately I cannot test that right now because on the systems I have at this location I have no USB3 ports. I will test it when I am back in FL in November where I have such facilities.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thanks a lot,
You do not think that if I had created WinPE with Macrium, WinPE would have recognised my hard disk while connected to a USB3 port.
In other words, I will let my external hard disk connected to USB3 port, and then I will return to Macrium and will click on "create scure bootable CD'. After that, I will follow the steps during Wizard. When I am asked to download the WAIK. I will not let it download it because I have been still keeping with the 1.7GB file that Macrium downloaded before.
Also, when I asked to locate the iso file, I will choose the path in which iso file(your file I have donwloaded) is. After that, I will click 'next'. Finally, Macrium will configure what needs to be added. Finally, I will get Macrium WinPE recovery CD which will recognise USB3 ports.

By the way, when I want to let Macrium create a scure CD. Will I have to have 'Macrium WinPE Recovery CD.iso' previously or during the porcess the program "Macrium" will download it? If I have to have the iso, then what is the benefit from that there is an option in Macrium to create a scure CD. If I had had an iso file, I would have burned it with any other burning software and then I would have Macrium WinPE Recovery CD.iso

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Sorry, but I really don't know what you are asking here.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

I mean if I have returned to create a secure CD during Macrium, Should I let it download WAIK again, or the one I have been keeping it now is enough?

Second: As long as you said 'The 1.7GB file that Macrium downloads during the WinPE recovery CD production is the WAIK and NOT the iso.' Thus, If hadn't had a WinPE iso file , wanted to create secure CD during Macrium,where would I bring iso file.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

When you create the WinPE CD from Macrium (after the WAIK was downloaded), it will burn the CD directly. At one point during the process it will call your default CD burning program.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

I have really decided to try creating a secure CD during Macrium.

However, when I booted from the CD created, I saw that my external hard disk wasn't shown while connceted to USB3 port. Altough the external hard disk was connected while Macrium was creating a secure CD, the WinPE CD still donesn't recognise my hard disk while connected to USB3 port.

By the way, I am quite surprised that Macrium burned CD, although it isn't a burning software.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

While creating an image with Macrium, I have reached to:

My question is what is the benefit from this file which saves in this path in my internal hard disk as long as my image (F66CED9A65871A4B-00-00)will be saved in the external hard disk( the destinaiton)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It is to create a shortcut which you can click on at any time you want to repeat the same backup.

Posted 1 year ago

acooperator

Thanks a lot
But now I would have two files:
F66CED9A65871A4B-00-00, which is in external hard disk(destination) and the other which is on Reflct folder where Macrium is installed( internal hard disk)

Second: Why would need repeating the same backup. If I had needed to do this, I would have created another new one.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Most folks do the same backup week after week. This file would save the choices you had to make and you would not have to duplicate the effort next time you want to perform the same backup.

Posted 1 year ago

acooperator

Thanks a lot,
I would schedule (by clicking right-click then 'schedule) my image weekly and then I will get the same backup without duplicating the effort.

Posted 1 year ago

acooperator

When I have restored my computer via WinPE CD from one image created before by Macrium installed in my computer . Then when my Windows restored, I run Macrium installed on my desktop. However, I didn't see that Macrium recognised definition Backup xml file, although the file is still shown in my documents inside "Reflact" folder.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You run the XML file by clicking on it.

Posted 1 year ago

acooperator

No,
I think now I have gotten the reason which caused why xML didn't appear in Macrium.
After I created a full image at 2 AM yeserday, I have highlighted XML and clicked duble on it to create another full image by Macrium installed at 4 AM.
So, I think the XML updated.
Thus, when I restored from the image created at 2 AM, Macrium didn't recognise the XML, although it is "C:\Users\Mohammad\Document\Reflect\......XML
However, when I restored from the image created at 4 AM, Macrium recognised the xml.

Besides, I would like to ask you:
First: should I have more XML for each create image?

Second: in case that I install Macrim in another partition other OS's. For isnstance, D:\Users\Mohammad\Document\Reflect\......XML
And then, I create only an image for OS's partiton. When I restore from this image, the Macrium woud never find XML because it is D:\Users\Mohammad\Document\Reflect\......XML.

As a result, I think that someone who argues that it is quite good idea to install programs in another partition other than OS's (Defualt C:), he would be quite erroneous.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@acooperator, Were you James T. Kirk in another life? You seemed to have appeared when he disappeared. Just wondering.

Posted 1 year ago

acooperator

Xhi, could you confirm that you receive this window while your Windows boots after restoring your image by WinPE CD.
I, When I have restored my Windows via WinPE CD from image created by Macrium installed, then I exited from WinPE CD. I see my Windows while booting showed me this:
---------------------------------------------------------
Windows Error Recovery
Windows didn't shut .........................
Select one option from ......
1-Safe mode
2-Start Windows normally.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When I clicked on Start Windows normally
I see Windows booted correctly

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

When making your image save it to a folder with a name of your choice then select that same folder to save your XML file in and then make your image and save it in the same folder as your XML file is in. You won't have any problem if you do it that way.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.