SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Restore either system image backup or data backup.

(44 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by acooperator
  • Latest reply from acooperator
  • Topic Viewed 3515 times

acooperator

He everyone,
I am quite surprised about some thing which is as follows: I have created a system image with Macrium and then I have uninstalled the MAcrium program. So, I noticed that the system image file created by Macrium has been changed its appearance. As you know that we can do a system image backup or data backup with a wide variety of programs, such as:
Macrium, Norton ghost, Acronis, and Windows built-in backup tool and so on.
So, I would like to know if I had created a system image backup or data backup with any of those program and wanted to restore it, Should I have to use the same program created a system image backup/data backup, or I can use another way?

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

You'll have to use the rescue CD that comes with Macrium to restore the image.
You can't restore the image made by one program with another program.
And most imaging programs require you use a rescue cd or a WinPE disk or something like that to restore (with the right program added to the WinPE disk etc.), because the drive or partition can't be in use when restoring.

But what I don't get is why did you uninstall Macrium?
It isn't a huge program taking up a lot of resources and when you have it installed you can browse the images as a virtual drive.
(very convenient for restoring individual files)
And it is always a good idea to make regular images.
Things on your computer change, so it is most convenient to have a recent image and when needed get your files and settings back without a lot of hassle.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

I have uploaded the WinPE .iso of Macrium to this Skydrive website. Right click on the grey box and download the .iso. Then burn it to a CD (ImgBurn is a good tool). With that CD you can restore Macrium images. You can also use it to create Macrium images.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thank you so much,

First: I would like to ask you that the system image I create from the bootable CD of Macrium, will it be restored only with using bootable CD of Macrium. In other words, I have downloaded ISO file for Macrium and burned it on a CD and then done a system image with booting with bootable CD of Macrium,. So, When I want to use it, should I use this bootable CD of Macrium to restore my system if I need?

Second: "the rescue CD that comes with Macrium to restore the image" What is the benefit from it? Could you please be a little more detailed?

Finally: If this iso file which I really downloaded and burned it on a CD is the rescue CD that comes with Macrium to restore the image.

Then why can I not use installing Macrium version to restore the image created with it? I think the other programs, such as installing Norton Ghost version would restore the images created with it.

As an aside, I have uninstalled the Macrium because I didn't see it does an incremental or differential image.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

The WinPE CD is a windows environment with Macrium as one of the available programs on it.
The iso whs provided is a selfmade WinPE disk with Macrium added to it - works like a charm.

The Rescue CD only has a Macrium restore option on it (= you get a Macrium menu asking you which image you want to restore and to what drive or partition, that is all).

Both work perfectly fine to restore an image.

I can't comment on Norton Ghost, since I don't use it. Macrium does all I want.

I myself wouldn't rely on incremental images. Too much risk of losing data.
If you're worried about the size of the images, you might consider creating a seperate partition for your personal files.
That way you can image your C, which stays rather small since it only has your OS and programs on it.
And use a program like Cobian Backup to backup your personal files.
Cobian does full, differential and incremental backups.

More about backup options here.
(Mind you I use Cobian now instead of Karen's Replicator - same kind of program but Cobian is far superior.)

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

As Sarah already said, I think it is a big mistake to use incremental images. The risk of losing the image is too high. It is also difficult to manage those images. Full images are the preferred solution and since large disks are readily available now, that should not really be a problem in terms of disk space.

The Macrium WinPE .iso I have uploaded is from the latests Macrium release ( 5.0.4908) but it can also be used to restore images from earlier releases of Macrium. This rescue CD is needed when you want to restore the system - that cannot be done from within a Macrium on a running system.

This WinPE .iso is the same as the one you can produce from your own Macrium installation. But that would take several hours because free Macrium will download the WAIK which is 1.7GB big. On my system that took over 2 hours whilst downloading the .iso from my site takes about 8 minutes.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thank you very much indeed.

I would respectfully asking you about these inquires:
I have four partitions(C: OS, System partition for boot, HP tools, D: factory recovery)
I have done a full system image backup for the two required partitions for restoring my Windows 7. Those partition are C: Windows system and "System partition for booting".
Now I am asking to know how I can let new settings and programs be backed up.
If I had created a full system image when any new programs or settings have been happened, then the hard disk would have been full quickly. So, I want a way to let only the new programs and settings be imaged

Suposse I do a full backup on Sunday. On Monday I back up only the files that changed since Sunday, on Tuesday I back up only the files that changed since Monday. Of course, these would be automatically as long as the full image created would be scheduled
So, When the time of scheduled comes, the Macrium would back up only the files that changed for all the partitions gotten new settings.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

As long as you said:
*The WinPE CD is a windows environment with Macrium as one of the available programs on it.
The iso whs provided is a selfmade WinPE disk with Macrium added to it - works like a charm.

*The Rescue CD only has a Macrium restore option on it (= you get a Macrium menu asking you which image you want to restore and to what drive or partition, that is all).

So, if you have a look at this picture whose link is below, you will see that the Macrium will also let me download WinPE. So, I know the WinPE CD.
However, what how can I download rescue CD

http://img213.imageshack.us/im.....875919.png

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

The WinPE CD is the rescue CD - just another name for it. There is also a Linux rescue CD version. That, however, has less function.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thank you so much
But what I have been understanding that WinPE(rescue CD) is used only during DOS prompt and this is quite benefit if I cannot access to my own installing Macrium. Also, if I don't like to install Macrium on my computer. I really have downloaded this and burned it on a DVD.

However, I can restore my images during my own installing Macrium because there is option "restore" if you have a look at this screeshot.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Yes you can restore imaged partitions, e.g. data partitions. But you cannot restore the system partition from a running system. For that you need the rescue CD (WinPE or Linux version).

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thank you very much indeed.
First:Why? Have you tired and it failed. Because there is possibility to restore any partition I want.

Finally: could you reply me to this:
I would respectfully asking you about these inquires:
I have four partitions(C: OS, System partition for boot, HP tools, D: factory recovery)
I have done a full system image backup for the two required partitions for restoring my Windows 7. Those partition are C: Windows system and "System partition for booting".
Now I am asking to know how I can let new settings and programs be backed up.
If I had created a full system image when any new programs or settings have been happened, then the hard disk would have been full quickly. So, I want a way to let only the new programs and settings be imaged

Suposse I do a full backup on Sunday. On Monday I back up only the files that changed since Sunday, on Tuesday I back up only the files that changed since Monday. Of course, these would be automatically as long as the full image created would be scheduled
So, When the time of scheduled comes, the Macrium would back up only the files that changed for all the partitions gotten new settings.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

You have to have the paid version of Macrium to do the incremental backups you describe.

While running on the Windows drive you can not restore the partition the system is running on while it is running. That is why you make the recovery disk. You boot from it and thus are not running from the Windows partition and can then restore it.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Could anyone please let me know about this problem?
I have created a system image during the installing Macrium version 5.0(build no 4908) and then I let it save in the external hard disk. However, when I have booted from Windows PE version 5.0(build 4870), I didn't see the destination of my system image listed in the list of the partitions, although my external hard disk, which is the destination, is connected to my computer via a USB3 port.
Besides, I am sure that when I have browsed the image created by Macrium, I could access to the external destination hard disk and found it available.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

As whs said above...

I have uploaded the WinPE .iso of Macrium to this Skydrive website. Right click on the grey box and download the .iso. Then burn it to a CD (ImgBurn is a good tool). With that CD you can restore Macrium images. You can also use it to create Macrium images.

If you do what he said you will have a disk that will recognize your USB3 port. Please try that.

Alternatively place your USB 3 device in a USB 2 Port.

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Thanks a lot, but what I have WinPE CD I really downloaded the same WinPE iso of macrium, but from another forum and it was uploaded on Skydrive(Macrium WinPE iso with USB3)

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

I really when I placed the external hard disk in the USB 2 port, the external hard disk became shown in while booting from WinPE CD
But I really the WinPE CD I have I created it from downloading Macrium WinPE iso with USB3. Then why should I place external hard disk in USB2 port to be shown?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Because it works that way!

Posted 2 years ago

acooperator

Then, I can never see my external hard disk shown, except if it is connected to a USB2 port. If so, even if I have created another secure media by burning the secure media iso file which I let Macrium downloaded.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you tried the one that whs assures us that he made which will recognize USB 3.0???

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.