The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Restore

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Tom
  • Latest reply from Tom
  • Topic Viewed 1035 times

Tom

Yesterday I had a small problem and tried to do a system restore. I tried a couple different restore points and did both in the safe mode and both did not complete. Both times I got "system restore did not complete sucessfuly, no system files were changed." I wonder if anyone else is having any problems with system restore in windows 7? It doesn't seem to work, at least not for me.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

System restore can be very iffy - it very often does not work as one expects. It is a lot safer to do imaging /ghosting with products like Norton Ghost or Acronis or free Macrium. One thing to try is to use another restore point - that sometimes works.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Well, I did try a couple. I think restore is a joke. Thanks for the reply. I do, do image backups.

Posted 4 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Actually, restore isn't a joke. I have found it to work without a problem as long as it wasn't something malicious (such as a virus). If it was a driver or application that you installed that constituted a system failure and need for use of a system restore then it will work.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Well, it was something that I did that was causing something not to work in an application. But my point is the restore should complete and work regardless as to what I did. And it should work all of the time. There is no reason for it to work just some of the time. That's why I say it's a joke. And it did not just work some of the time for me, it didn't work at all.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

I got it to work half of the time. But that is not good enough. However, the shadows are still useful if you need to recover lost files with Shadow Explorer. For system restore, however, I rely on my Ghost.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Couldn't agree more. I just simply think that there is a fundamental flaw in restore that needs to be fixed.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!