The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Restarting Windows 8

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lestrange
  • Latest reply from loudermp
  • Topic Viewed 688 times

Lestrange

Last night when I shut down my computer, it went off very quickly. This morning, I wanted to restart it having made no changes to anything other than a template I had created some time ago. It took several minutes, with the little beads going around in a circle, to shut down, then restart. Puzzling. Any ideas? thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Updates?

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I would imagine that this either a windows update or windows just sorting itself out after the unusual shutdown.
Not too much too worry about.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Did it happen again? Otherwise XHI is probably correct. Usually the updates are done in 2 parts, part during shutdown and your see a message NOT to turn off your computer and percent progress, and then on the ensuing power on either a progress for the update or a long time to boot with an intermediate screen of twirling dots. Turning off and restarting, I've not seen that before though?

On an SSD, sometimes there is a long delay for the twirling dots to show, and I think it is an SSD's TRIM working then.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

Thanks to all. The circling beads were all by themselves, no notice about updates or a warning not to turn off my computer which I always got on XP and still get on Win 7 in my laptop. I'll see how it goes for the next few days and let you know. In any event, no harm done.

(Later) I just tried again. The time elapsed from when I clicked on Restart to the appearance of my desktop was about a minute. Updates, to be sure. Thanks XHI and company.

Lestrange

Posted 1 year ago

loudermp

Just like windows 8 to keep the user informed, even if I set the updates for automagic I would still like to be informed, I have windows 7 and am not sure if updates can be set to automagic or if the user is informed if so but I think the user should be.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!