SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

reset or reboot my hp pavilion entertainment pc. windows vista.

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by c0oki3m0nst3r
  • Latest reply from InterPC
  • Topic Viewed 6537 times

c0oki3m0nst3r

i just bought the HP pavilion entertainment pc with windows vista for my sister, and i guess she is computer illiterate, she completely changed the language settings, and ive tried changing it back to english by guesswork and my laptop translater. the language is now set to chinese or korean. im not sure. i tried going to settings and changing the language, but it wont change to english. she doesnt remember what she did. the laptop didnt come with any disks, reboot disks or anything. i tried repairing it and it asked me for the windows vista product key, which isnt available once again. and i dont know why it asks me that. i didnt download it, it came with the laptop. i tried the product key on the bottom of the laptop and that wasnt it. so i just want to reboot it, so i can set the settings myself. ive been searching online for a reboot disk for a month now, and ive had no luck at all. ive downloaded more than a dozen hack/reboot/OS disks. maybe im doing it wrong. i need step by step directions on how to reboot it and where to download the reboot disk from. i've invested alot of time and money. and i need a way out now. i want it quick, simple and free. please help me out!! ive lost all hope!!

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Are there any files (docs, pics & music) that would be lost with a system recovery? That puts it back to factory delivered condition without a product key, while eliminating all user saved data.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

if no disks came with the purchase my guess is it a pirate/ghost version of windows, any reputable dealer/store will give you disks.

Posted 4 years ago

c0oki3m0nst3r

there isnt any data that i would lose. its new. there has to be a link or something i can download. i did it for my windows 7. but i did it manually, because it was in english.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

you can try microsoft updates and see if English is an option. do you know if she downloaded a language update? Check your programs to see if it might be there, if so you can roll it back / uninstall the update.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

What version of Vista is it ?

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

Have you tried to recover the laptop by tapping the F11 key during the startup?

You will be able to purchase its recovery discs from HP. If you can give the exact model number it will be helpful to search for the recovery discs.

Posted 4 years ago

c0oki3m0nst3r

windows vista 64 bit OS. and i tried manually, i cant get anything done due to the language barrier.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

By version, I mean is it, Home Premium, Ultimate, Business etc.

Posted 4 years ago

c0oki3m0nst3r

windows vista Ultimate K

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try booting up with this, and pray you have a suitable Restore Point available,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-have-one/

Posted 4 years ago

c0oki3m0nst3r

i tried neosmart, and it asks me for a product key. it doesnt give me the option to reset the laptop. it worked magic with my windows 7, but its not working for my windows vista =C

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Wonder if that "K" in the version line means Korean? If so, perhaps it's looking for Korean characters?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Windows Vista Home Basic K and Windows Vista Business K are to satisfy anti-trust regulations for South Korea and will only be sold in South Korea. Microsoft won't ship Windows Vista Home Premium K, Windows Vista Ultimate K, and Windows Vista Enterprise K until Windows Vista SP1. These editions will not include Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger. Otherwise they will be identical to their equivalent versions minus the 'K'.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

So, are we dealing with an English installation that has had it's language changed?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

The opposite I think. Did you buy the computer second hand ?

Posted 4 years ago

c0oki3m0nst3r

im not sure, i ordered it online,it came with the box and everything. when it started, it was in english. it changed when my sister went thru the setup and registration.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

When it was setup there are language options you chose from a list during the process of configuring. It must have been set to Chinese or Korean. Open the start menu and search 'Region and Language' in the search box and there should be only one link that appears there, click on that link and the rest of the info and pictures is here: http://www.walkernews.net/2007.....interface/
I hope this can help.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.