The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Rescue Disk

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ReadandShare
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 297 times

ReadandShare

Hi... new guy here. I'm sure mine is not an original question, so apologies in advance.

I use Win 7 Home Premium. I have made a full system backup -- using the free EaseUS Todo Backup -- and created a bootable CD rescue disk as well. My understanding is that any kind of malware affecting Windows -- I can just boot from the CD and restore without worries.

But are there also malware that can preclude a boot up? Assuming no hardware malfunction -- do I need to worry about not being able to boot and restore because of viruses and such? If so, what do I need in addition to my EaseUS Todo rescue disk? Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

You might want a Windows Defender Stand-alone disk, but you should make it at the time of the problem so it contains all the latest definitions. Generally you should have no problem booting from your rescue disk.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

I think what you're talking about malware-wise is a virus called a BIOS virus but these are pretty rare nowadays, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

If you have the standard malware on your system and you re-imaged to a previous image before you got the malware then your system would be free of those nasties.

Posted 2 years ago

ReadandShare

I believe I have a Windows Rescue Disk as well... I'll look around. Thank you both.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

If you made your image while your system was running "Good" then you shoud have no problem if you need to recover that image in the future.
If you have an external USB storage drive you should try and make images often depending on how you make system changes or install or unnstall apps.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.