The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Rescue Disk

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Techminator
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 396 times

Techminator

I am sure you all must have read about creating USB rescue sticks with multiple security solutions and utilities. The number of such items which can be copied onto the USB stick is limited to the space available on the stick. The good thing is that the software within can be updated periodically and as needed.

I have been wondering if it is possible to create a rescue DVD using DVD-RW in such a way that the software can be updated when new updates are released.

Any suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

When you consider you can get an 8Gb memory stick for less than £5, using a 650Mb CDRW is pointless, plus the memory stick is quicker and more versatile. When I did tech work I always had two holding duplicate stuff - one attached to my keyring (so I didn't accidentally leave it behind), and one as a back-up in case the keyring one failed which, touch wood, only happened once and a re-format cured it.

As to what you keep on it that's really up to your personal preferences and what you are used to using and know does the job - you gradually accumulate new tools over time.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

oldgeezer. You must remember, that there are still some computers out there, that cannot boot from USB.

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

Right but that does not really answer my question. Also, have you considered what would happen if your USB Recovery Stick is infected with a virus?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Techminator ,

Yes it is possible but would be very fiddly when dealing with multiple AV's or AS's, also it would depend on whether you are referring to a Bootable version (linux based) or a .exe version that can be run when Windows is running.

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

bootable version with the ability to update the software packages. Any tips on how to do it?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

How much programming knowledge do you have ?

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

none, whatsoever. (-_-)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Ok then, the next thing to ask is what kind of Security solutions you want on the disc ; name of products, AV or AS etc...

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

Kaspersky, Bitdefender, AVG, Avira, F-Secure and a few other utility tools. The list can increase as I come across more usable tools.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Not so sure about all of those as you would need a different Bootstrapper for each program, plus a Grub like options loader, plus a way of turning the existing AV programs into a linux usable GUI.

There are a few tools that can do something similar however, a lot of the time they come bundled with 'other' stuff that you may not want.

Without a working knowledge of any programming skills it would be a VERY tall order to re-write the code (not to mention illegal).

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

You lost the whole point here and and steered away from my question. Programming is out of question whatsoever and has got nothing to do with writing onto a DVD-RW.

You may want to read my query once again if you are anywhere near being called a geek.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Yes you can use a DVD-RW and yes it the progs can be updated, however space would be limited depending on how many progs you 'attach'.

And I am not a Geek, no where near it.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Techminator, I believe the above posters have tried to understand. I also understand what you are asking however it cannot be done in the way you ask.

Basically you cannot do what you are asking, either USB or DVD.

I have both media but have to update on a regular basis manually, they can't be auto.

Could I also ask you to be polite in future. Perhaps a little better input could have been helpful.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Techminator

hi Mike

The software on the bootable USB can be updated if that particular software provides the option. I have not tried it on a disk, either CD or DVD as yet. But I am wondering that for anything to be written on a disk, one would need a software like nero to write anything onto it. Hence if a software needs to be updated then how would that be possible?

In the case of a USB, it would be done on the fly since it does not require any special software to write data onto it.

Since you have tried it on a DVD, is it the same as the way you update on a USB?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

I used to have bootable rescue utility on CD-RW but have since changed to a USB drive just for the speed of making changes. With the CD-RW it seemed like the app/ apps were always just a little larger then the capacity of the CD-RW. The updating on a CD-RW is so much longer then with a USB drive. I still carry a couple of bootable rescue CD's with my laptop but also have a bootable USB drive. You can use most any burning software that allows formatting CD-RW's.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.