The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - request denied

(24 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kroupas
  • Latest reply from kroupas
  • Topic Viewed 1893 times

kroupas

i try to open classcreator.com and i get a white page and all it says is: Request Cancelled. Issue 101.
i contacted the administor of my class website and they said that there is no problem with the site
but for some reason i;am blocked. i have norton 360 but i can't find anywhere in norton where that
site is blocked. what can i do to access this site?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

First I'd try disabling for a period of time both the firewall and A/V in Norton 360. I don't have it but I know it can be done, just don't know what to do to do that. Either a Right Mouse Button on the systray icon or within the program itself by turning off those parts.

Then see if you can get through. If you can, turn back on the A/V and see if you can still get through. Next the Firewall. If it should break at that point, it is probably a PORT that is needed that is shut-off. You'll need to figure that out with help from the class administrator.

If turning off Norton doesn't fix it, look for other firewalls, is the Windows one active?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i turned off eveything in norton and that did not help, i still get Request Cancelled. Issue 101. i only get this for this one website i don't have a problem with any other site. i'am not sure what a port is, where can i find them and how do i turn them on or off?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well. all you've proved is that it isn't Norton so far.

What you need is more info on Issue 101? I guess you have to ask ClassCreator about that error? Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if there is more info on this?

Could it be you don't have COOKIES enabled?

Does this happen with all browsers? If you only have one, get Google Chrome or Firefox and try that?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

yes it does this with all browsers i tried, internet explorer,netscape,safari. i have tried to find more info on what request denied 101 is but i can't find anything usefull. my cookies are enabled. i cannot ask class creator because i cannot get on the website that is what the problem is.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Was there any errors in the Event Viewer with a 101 code?

What is happening is the something isn't working and causing that web site to not give you the data you are requesting. Possible causes are more than likely on your machine. Since it happens with all browsers you can probably rule out cookies. That leaves PORTS, corrupted files, or missing components on your system.

Tell me, are you going through a ROUTER? Maybe the ROUTER must forward ports to your system or put your systems on the DMZ.

You said the Class Admin told you the problem is on your system. Kindly ask them what a 101 error is and what it means your problem is, it would help a lot figuring this out.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

yes i am going through a wirless router, i have AT&T internet service. how do i check event view for errors? the class administor does not know what that error is, they said there is no problem with the website. this is the only website this happens to, all other websites i go to work fine.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I'm on W7 and I think Vista is about the same. The Event Viewer can be launched many ways. Easiest would be Start button, RUN, and enter EVENTVWR.MSC. Then look either under Applications or SYSTEM selections. Look for ERRORS which are listed, you'll have to scroll down to the last time it happened. I guess you could sort by code as well and then scroll to that number.

Post what you find, if anything, please.

Without knowing what has happened it is real hard to determine what has happened?

One other suggestion, your router should have a DMZ tab on it somewhere. Place your computer (it goes by IP Address and if you enter in a COMMAND PROMPT IPCONFIG /ALL you'll see the one assigned to you) into the DMZ and see if that fixes it. If it does, then the ROUTER is not passing a needed port to your machine. See if any are blocked automatically by your Router. Some will and some have specific protocols that they block.

If the above if too hard for you to figure out see if you can connect your computer direct to the AT&T service and see if it works. If it does, problem is in the router, if it still fails, it is in your computer.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i don't see anything in event viewer with that code. i have no idea what your talking about with DMZ and placing my computer into this
DMZ tab. See if any are blocked automatically by your Router. Some will and some have specific protocols that they block? how? your telling me to do all these things but then you don't tell me how to do it. connect my computer direct to AT&T service? what do mean by that and how?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Router will put a specific IP Address computer on your Internal LAN basically direct connected to the Internet with no filtering. LinkSys and DLink call that the DMZ. On my LinkSys router it is in the Application and Gaming tab.

Again, each router is different, what is the Router you have, maybe I can find the manual on-line and make suggestions?

Connecting direct to AT&T's modem means probably using a network card and cable, not wireless. May not be something you can do.

What I think has happened is that the web page has tried to connect to your machine. It sent a request into your machine and it was blocked. That could be a PORT for instance. Just like web pages have port 80 enabled if you were to be running a web server on your computer. If you have that port blocked to go out, you can't run a web server. Look at your Firewall program. It will probably list ports (UDF and TCP ports) that it lets in and are blocked. Any of those blocked could be the cause. There could also be a program of Active - X control that the web page must run. Your browser could be blocking an Active - X control, and since Firefox and others don't work, it could be this, but we don't know for sure until we can eliminate other things.

Not knowing what is needed makes this more difficult.

Here is the HELP from my Router on DMZ,

++++++++++++++++
The DMZ screen allows one local user to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming and videoconferencing. DMZ hosting forwards all the ports at the same time to one PC. The Port Range Forwarding is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer to the Internet.

Any PC whose port is being forwarded must have its DHCP client function disabled and should have a new static IP address assigned to it because its IP address may change when using the DHCP function.

To use this feature, select Enabled. To disable DMZ hosting, select Disabled.

Source IP Address. If you want any IP address to be the source, select Any IP Address. If you want to specify an IP address or range of IP addresses as the designated source, click the second radio button, and enter the IP address(es) in the fields provided.

Destination. If you want to specify the DMZ host by IP address, select IP Address and complete the IP address in the field provided. If you want to specify the DMZ host by MAC address, select MAC Address and enter the MAC address in the field provided. To retrieve this information, click the DHCP Client Table button.

The DHCP Client Table lists computers and other devices that have been assigned IP addresses by the Router. The list can be sorted by Client Name, Interface, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time (how much time is left for the current IP address). To select a DHCP client, click the Select button. To retrieve the most up-to-date information, click the Refresh button. To exit this screen and return to the DMZ screen, click the Close button.
+++++++++++++

Here is what my router page looks like :

The HELP above explains the entries one would make.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i have a 2wire934 at&t router, i looked at all the blocked ports in my firewall and unblocked them and then tried to go to that website and i still get the same error. i have at&t u-verse so my computer and t.v.is connected to the same box which then goes to the router. so i'am not able to connect to the router with a cable or network card. i have no idea where to find this DMZ screen on my computer or if i even have it.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

Just a thought but after following this thread for a day ,
you might try something simple like flush dns

To do that you open the command prompt
then enter in ipconfig /flushdns
then press enter.
Not saying it will help but it definetly will not harm anything.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Look at the router and find the model number, I can't find a 934 on the web? I did find a 2701HG-B model that seems as if that is what most people have? Is this the model number?

I did find this 2Wire link, check out the DMZ there if it is the same?

If that doesn't help, and you can't tell the model number of the modem/router, call your ISP and ask them how you set the router to put your computer into the DMZ...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i think the model number is 3800 hgv-b, i did the ipconfig/dns

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Found the MANUAL at THIS WEB PAGE, go to page 30, CONFIGURING FIREWALL SETTINGS and there you can put YOUR system on the DMZ and how to do it is detailed.

If you should then be able to discover all you need is to let ports through to your system, check this LINK out.

A D/L'able version of the modem/router manual is at THIS LINK (a PDF you can save to disk).

Just follow the directions and put your computer name on the DMZ zone, your problem should be solved.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i think this would be helpfull but i can't even figure out how to open up the configure firewall settings page for my router.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

i conntacted at&t and they told how to get into my firewall setting for my router, i'am going to contact the adminstator for my class website, i have her personal email, and ask her to get the port information from class creator so i can enter that single port instead of goint into DMZ PLUS mode.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Did you try setting the computer on the DMZ? If you do, you can tell if it works then? This either confirms some port is blocking you or if the problem is within your computer? After the test, you can remove the computer from the DMZ by reversing your steps.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

kroupas

it did not work. i put my computer in DMZ PLUS mode and then went to the site and still get request cancelled issue 101.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Then the router is not at fault here. It is more than likely within your computer. Possibly your firewall and A/V? You could turn those off and then put the computer back on the DMZ and see what happens?

Another thing to try, all with the computer on the DMZ is to boot into SAFE MODE with NETWORKING and see if it works with and without the Firewall and A/V enabled. Still doesn't work, I'm not sure what to try next?

I don't think that site needs cookies but are cookies enabled on your system?

If this is a laptop, have you tried taking it to another place, like McDonalds or others that have free Wi-Fi and see if it works there?

When do you get the 101 error? What is the complete URL you go to initially and what clicks do you take before you get the 101 error? I can get to that site without problems.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!