SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Reporting New Member Time Wasting Posts.

(34 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from jcx
  • Topic Viewed 3587 times

vistamike
vistamike

Reporting members becoming a pain

Recently, it has come to our attention that some new members are requesting much information.
In general, this is not a problem because that what the HTG forum is all about.
However, we find some posts from certain new members can be 'mind numbingly boring' and create new topics for the same problem. Are we dealing with a genuine request for help or are we being led down the proverbial garden path with the member, feet comfortably set on desk and just having a right giggle at our expense?

The problem is that members freely offer their expertise and knowledge with little response from the OP.
We have seen multiple topics / posts from the likes of Captain Kirk and acooperator for instance, amongst others in the past.
The feeling is that we are just wasting our valuable time in some cases.
It is most important that valuable members time is not wasted.

The idea behind this STICKY is that senior members can report here where they find perhaps a very pointless and time consuming topic that, quite frankly will never get anywhere other than a blindingly lengthy and useless waste of HTG time.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Nicely put that man. Take a round of applause :)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks Mike. Reminds me of a quote. "Thats all I can stand and I can't stands no more" (Popeye the Sailor Man).

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

There is always the option of silence ;)

@ Warlock - had to revert to that on another pointless discussion just now. Your polite question really had me biting my tongue (or discarding my keyboard <LOL LOL LOL>) but I'm still laughing at the thought. Ta :)

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Nice one Mike,

That's why i haven't been answering questions about the computer side of things because it gets redundant of answering the same question over and over again. and for the questions that i have received in Assistive Tech which i have replied to i never see a reply back to me which gets old but that's life i also have been getting computer questions there to. No Biggie on that i just wish people would read any forum's guidelines but they never do.

John

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

I don't think this is a recent phenomena. Back in the day, before our huge growth,
we had members stepping on members and 8 replies before the OP even had a chance
to respond. Now there's more respect among members but as Jim (to paraphrase) and
others point out, OPs will always be OPs, they rarely search for answers or rules before posting.

As always, Ms. James provides the best insight though. Ignore if you feel it's a circle jerk.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

call the doc i need a shot of tequila & two asprin (rofl) juat for the record you mods do one he11 of a job.some posts i see ,the urge to reply a quick witted smart a!@# answer sometimes come to my mind. i give you guys alot of credit for keeping your cool. ex (the torrent post). i wouldve shut that guy down as i felt the attitude was a lil rude to ya ........but i guess thats why im not a mod !

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Mods are very carefully picked from the cherry tree :)

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

And the torrent post is just about to be cherry picked!
But we do give them a bit of rope first

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Already, it seems to be working!

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=25

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Sorry I'm late!
As LH said, Mike, take a round of applause

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Hatty, I feel like I got the clap now!

Searching for resolve.........

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Mike, Penicillin.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/profile/jaso

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

@Rick. I had my doubts about him.. At least I didn't commit any real time to his query. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Don't feed anything big that lives under bridges.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

There's nothing but water under there.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

In the middle yes, at the edges no.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2 I don't know about this fellow? (XxChungxX)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!