Replacement for Windows Live Messenger with desktop option

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 1457 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi guys and gals,

like Kate in a recent topic I'm looking for a windows live program replacement due to lots and lots of glitches.
Apart from that MS has promissed to discontinue Windows Live Messenger somewhere in March, so I have not other choice it seems :(
Not that I'm particularly fond on WLM but I have tweaked it to perfection in combination with Messenger Plus!
One of the features I'll truly be missing is the option to place my contacts on the desktop, where I can see if they are online, offline, busy etc ánd instantly start a conversion without having to open WLM in the tray.
In the past I have also use Trillion, but I really missed the desktop function and the personalized sounds (I have different ones for different persons for log in and logoff, so I can hear in the kitchen who is coming online etc. Saves me extra walks to check if it is someone I'm waiting for ;)).

Apart from that I do NOT want anything google or webbased (yeah I know I'm picky but that is why I stuck to WLM even though I don't use any other Windows Live program because they are bulky, intrusive, irritating programs).

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Well, the choice for an Instant Messaging desktop client is a personal one. Since you say you have already customized your current one, I believe it would be really difficult to find a replacement with all those features you like. But however, these are some alternatives:

Digsby
Trillian
Pidgin
Thunderbird (has a new chat feature)
Instantbird
Miranda

My personal recommendation is for Digsby, when using Windows I use it with this skin: http://bogo-d.deviantart.com/a.....-109905163 . In Ubuntu I use Empathy, which is not available for Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Most of these I've already tried in the past and I like Trillian, but as far as I know there are no plugins or something like that to add functionality, which is actually why I asked - I hoped someone would know some program you can add or plugins you can use etc. and make a chat client as versatile as Messenger is with Plus! installed (took me a while before I had found Plus! too <LOL>).

I'll give Digsby a try.

Edit: Oh no I won't! Look at this:

Read here to see how nasty it is! (And I thought the Windows Live Suite was bad :S)

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Digsby is going open source now:
http://lifehacker.com/5948063/.....pen-source

However, I have not tested this, as I can't find a build for it and don't know how/don't have the time to compile it (yet).

Also, info on how to get a clean, portable version here: (This is what I use)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....th-digsby/

I've noticed the WOT warnings, but never had a problem with it. You can disable the distributed computing and advertising.
Anyways, I agree that it is much better to use open source software, that's why I use Ubuntu (and Empathy) now.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Sarah,

it's my understanding since MS bought in to Skype they are using it in place of WLM as far as features goes i have no idea what they have.

John

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi John,

That's what I heard and why I want to get away from it. I do nót want Skype. In fact I just want to keep windows live messenger, but lately I've had more and more problems with it like the connection disappearing all of a sudden, text not being sent etc. and I'm not the only one it is happening to.
Might be me being paranoid but I feel as if MS has already lost interest in WLM and hopes that with a lousy connection in WLM people might alreay switch over to Skype.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!