raphoenix

9 Page Review
and
Samsung 830 vs Samsung 840 vs Samsung 840 Pro Specifications

http://www.custompcreview.com/.....iew/15955/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, some people think the TLC of the 840 is a big disadvantage. What do you think ??

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I would stick with 840 PRO Know Good MLC Technology until new TLC SSDs get a proven track record.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

What Rick said. TLC is too new to have a track record but, in theory, will not be as durable as MLC.

While I lusted after the larger sizes for their increased write speeds, realistically speaking, they probably do me all that much good since a boot drive doesn't get written to nearly as much as it gets read (not to mention that the thing will be so fast any speed differences will be insignificant) so I ordered the 128 GB drive (I'll be ordering the rest of the innards for my build in February; I'll finish the case in the next day or two). I doubt that I'll use more than 40GB for the OS and programs. That will leave me more than 40-50 GB overhead for temp files and overprovisioning for wear leveling which will be more than enough.

@whs. The first page of the link that Rick posted should answer your question.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, thanks for pointing that out. But even they call it "mythical". Btw: I run all 3 of my desktops with 60GB SSDs - and the oldest since 4 years. So you should be fine with the 128GB model. Just get rid of the hyberfile, set the pagefile to 2GB and move the data to the spinner.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. Note that I said, "...in theory...". TLC is just too new for actual results to be in yet. For the little amount the Pro costs over the consumer version and the improved performance it has, "erring" to the side of caution just made good sense, especially since I got it on sale (being a cheap, old b***H, it's my favorite word).

The machine I'm slowly building (most of the work has been in prepping the case and making custom PSU cables; the latter was a chore but worth it) will use up to six spinners to store data on. I'll be starting with one WD2002FAEX 2 TB for the main data drive which will be adequate for my music, books, photos, and personal data for years to come (I'll probably steal the one out of my XP machine). I'll also initially have a WD20EARX 2 TB for videos only; I'll add more as I rip more DVDs.

The SSD will be strictly for the OS and programs. I could have gotten by with the 64 GB model but the 128 GB model was a happy compromise of performance and price and still gives me plenty of overhead for future expansion and wear leveling. Barring a flaw that causes early failure (and that is what the warranty is for), this little jewel should be still be happily plugging along long after Win 7 is laid to rest.

Dumb question: hyberfile?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....delete-it/

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks, LH. I've copied it to a Word doc and I'll study it later but I get the gist for now.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The SSD Optimization Guide Redesigned

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-gu.....guide-2/2/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

@LF

1. Deleting the hiberfile needs no 'study'. Just run this command: powercfg - h off

2. Here is someone who just posted performance measurements of an 840 Pro (posting # 823) http://www.sevenforums.com/har.....ost2237956

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

My Vertex 4 128GBs in Raid 0 Array on Sata III Ports in Asus Ivy Bridge Machine.

Best guess is that Two 840 PRO 256GB in same Raid 0 Array Configuration should hit better than a 1000.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Amazing nums. But since the access time probably does not change (a lot), I assume that those speeds have little impact on the OS overall performance. Or did you notice any.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. By study, I meant read it. I just copied the article to a word doc and took off to run some errands. I just got back and my TV show is about to come on. One of the advantages of retirement is I can set my own schedule most of the time.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Yeah, I set my own schedule since over 20 years. The only thing I don't understand is how I ever could have squeezed in some work.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Can't measure my excess time as all local programs open and are ready to go in the "blink of eye".

Of course the slowest thing about my machines is the internet speeds which I can't do anything about. :(

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. Isn't it the truth!

@ Rick. I have a fairly decent connection...for now. Eventually, I'll be stuck with a slower one with a smaller cap. Wah!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Yeah, the internet is too slow. I have DSL3000 in the US and DSL6000 (for half ther money) in Germany. Both are too slow when I e.g. upload a 300MB video to YouTube. I envie my son who has DSL56.000 in Germany. But he is on glass cables.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

US is 36th on this comparison.
http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

Can Play with many global connections and comparisons on the top menu bar.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That's better than #136 - which is Honduras

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.