The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - replace sata hard drive with ssd

(39 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by leonardjonesjonesbtinternetcom
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2058 times

leonardjonesjonesbtinternetcom

I have an acer z5610 all in one and am about to replace the hard drive with a solid state drive,I know little or nothing about ssd but am keen to learn.I have donne a little research but need to be sure I get the right one for my pc
installing windows7 from scratch would not be a problem a clean install would be preferred
a 240/256g is what I have in mind
the current hard drive is I believe a 2.5" so will probably require the same
the pc is under 3 years old so probably wont support sata 3 but sata3 will still work?
I have looked at crucial and kingston and several others,and I am confusing myself even more.think I require some laymans experience

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you are going to be doing a CLEAN INSTALL you do it the SAME way as you would with a standard SATA drive. Just replace it, shouldn't require any BIOS changes, and install the OS. I would get a SATA II (I assume that is what your drive is now) as it could work a little better even though SATA III is backward compatible.

Now if you want to CLONE the original drive over to the SSD, specialized s/w is required.

Me, and I've done this, I used the original drive as a second data only drive. However, I had from day 1 partitioned that drive to a small OS partition and then 2 data partitions. This way I was able to clone the original OS partition to the SSD, then booted off of the SSD and HID the original OS partition (actually I changed the drive to another letter so I can access it if need be or even BOOT to it).

I"d check how much of your original drive was used and get a drive larger than that.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. Sata3 will work on a Sata2 port - there will be little real life performance difference
2. The Crucial M4 is a good SSD - also look at the Samsung 300 and 400 (not the Pro)
3. Here is a little tutorial I made to get you started: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ystem.html

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Reference Reading

http://thessdreview.com/

Click on Links at Top of Page.

Posted 1 year ago

I have had a 1-1 chat with crucial,they say they dont have an ssd for my system
how can I be sure before I buy?
I have been on the acer web site it would appear to be useless unless you are still in warranty

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What OS are you running ?

Posted 1 year ago

win7 ultimate 64bit
I cant see the os having any effect on wether a ssd will work in my system
my main problem now is which ssd kingston/seagate / I have used crucial before and been well pleased so am a little disappointed

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I don't understand this whole discussion. Why can't you use any SSD.

In this all-in-one box it may be tight quaters. But there must be a disk bay for the current disk where you should be able to fit a SSD. If the SSD is smaller than the bay (e.g. SSD is 2.5" and bay is 3.5") use my old method - Velcro dots - to secure it. But the power cable and Sata cable should be standard - and even if they are not, there are always adapters.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Because the make , and model of the SSD depends on the OS for it to work at peak efficiency.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LH, where did you get that from. And what is 'peak efficiency'.

Posted 1 year ago

I have had 1-1 with crucial and email contact with samsung and both say they cannot guarantee their products will work with my pc.
Idont think there is an issue with which os win7/8
usb 2/3 is not an issue either as most ssd`s are backwards compatible
I am currently looking at sandisk and ocz technology
sandisk I know, ocz I have never heard of
my count down has started one week today I will order one
if I order via amazon their returns policy is second to none
there is a spare bay in my system I have had a look
there is an option in bios to add an ssd(which is encouraging)
so...

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

OCZ is the biggest maker of SSDs. I have 3 OCZs that all work very well. But there are some OCZ models that did have problems - better read the reviews (e.g. on Newegg).

The Crucial M4 (of which I have one) and the Samsung 830 and 840s ar very good too.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

I suspect that Crucial and Samsung are being cautious because you are putting it into an all-in-one PC and they probably haven't bothered to test it in one. As long as it is easily accessible there shouldn't be a problem and the M4 is definitely a good buy - they were selling the 256Gb for only a bit over £100 recently.

Posted 1 year ago

thanks again fellas I tend to agree with "oldgeezer" about crucial but that could be because I am an "oldgeezer" too you get a bit sceptical with age
I have a son who has used ocz recently and is happy with them, so the deciscion is narrowed a bit further...almost there

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

From what I've read, if one goes with Samsung 840, get the 840 Pro. The 840 uses TLC which may reduce the life of the SSD (they are too new for actual life data to be available). The 840 Pro uses MLC which should give longer life. The Pro version is also a bit faster.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

But then the 840 Pro is more expensive. I would not worry about the lifetime of the 840. It will last longer than you will care to keep it.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Right now, the 840 pro is only $40 more at NewEgg ($100 vs. $140). I spend that much eating out two or three times.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I'd rather convert the $40 into food, LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The SSD will last far longer than $40 worth of food. I don't know about you, but I can stand to lose weight. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The 128 GB 840 Pro is on sale today for $130 at NewEgg using promo code EMCNJNJ37. I wasn't going to buy my computer innards until February to make sure I got the full use of the warranty and I could still return any DOA components within the usual 30 day window but HDDS and SSDs aren't hard to test (I'll be picking up four 2 TB HDDs from my mail service tomorrow that I ordered on sale after Christmas while I was out of town that I will be testing for the next week or so) so it's worth ordering now to save a few shekels.

Another difference between the 840 and the 840 Pro is the warranty; the 840 has a three year warranty and the pro has a five year warranty.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.