The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

REPLACE OR BUY NEW

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sandillajoan
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 507 times

sandillajoan

My computer, a Compaq Presario, 32bit, is about 3.5-4 years old. I'm having terrible problems with it that are hardware related. Based on all I've learned in this forum it is likely the power supply. When I check memory, it says that I've used 50% and the 'factory image' has used 90%. It's constantly crashing, blue screens galore, etc. I'm not able to do more w/it myself because it would involve my having to open the back and I'm lost at that point. I'm just a regular user. However, there are no virus issues, everything has been cleaned via CCleaner; etc. all leftover from programs i've installed removed via Revo.....I've been planning on having a prof. tech. come in to service it for me. I'm unable to bring the computer out for service as I am disabled and need to have it fixed in my home. However, I just got an offer from a friend who told me that he would be happy to buy me a new computer as a birthday gift if I wanted one. Of course, I'd love to upgrade if possible. I would like to know if I would be able to get a new computer, but continue using my monitor (WF1907-Compaq); and also the printer (HP photosmart) and replace them sometime in the future?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Take the offer of the new computer. The only problem possible is with compatibility with the printer and the monitor. That depends on what OS the new computer comes with. But should not be a problem at that age.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You should have no trouble with the monitor or the printer on a new computer. HP Photosmart is a recent enough series to have the necessary drivers for you new computer. Go for it and good luck.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!