The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Rename personal folder on my desktop and start menu

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Bluetruck78
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 2325 times

Bluetruck78

My user folder C:\Users\correctusername is named how I want it and is the same as my logon user name. On my desktop and in the start menu my user folder has a different name but it still points to C:\Users\correctusername. How can I change the name of the folder on my desktop and start menu to match my correct user name?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

What is the user name in Control Panel -> User Accounts. If it is not correct change it and see if that helps.,

Posted 1 year ago

Bluetruck78

The user name in Control Panel -> User Accounts is the correct name. The folder on my desktop and start menu does not.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

How did you originally create them?
Have you tried to rename the folder?

Posted 1 year ago

Bluetruck78

When I first set up my computer my user folder had the correct user name just like C:\Users\correctusername and in Control Panel -> User Accounts. For some reason I changed my logon name using Control Panel -> User Accounts, didn't like it and changed it back to what I started with, again, using Control Panel -> User Accounts. So now I have C:\Users\correctusername, Control Panel -> User Accounts -> correctusername but my user folder on my desktop and start menu has the user name that I had previously changed to and didn't like.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

If you type lusrmgr.msc in the start bar and click on it. What name appears under users. The correct one or the incorrect one. If the incorrect one then rename it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Have you tried deleting the desktop folder and then dragging the folder with the correct name on your desktop?

Posted 1 year ago

Bluetruck78

lusrmgr.msc -> shows the correct name. After running that now the folder on my desktop and start menu shows the correct name. I didn't change anything.

Posted 1 year ago

Bluetruck78

Thank you Xhi and germ-x for the help.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

You're welcome. I love it when a good plan comes together.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.