How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Removing Xp on a dual boot config...

(26 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bomonganni
  • Latest reply from TimDaniels
  • Topic Viewed 7205 times

bomonganni
bomonganni

I had Xp installed and followed the guide on how to dual boot with Vista....Worked fine. I have both OS on a single drive, and now I would like to remove XP and re partition so that I have only one partition with Vista as the OS....what is the procedure for this?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

This should work:
1. Move any data you want to keep from the Windows XP partition to the Windows Vista partition or external drive.
2. Go to VistaBootPro->Manage OS Entries tab->Select "Windows XP" and click the red x button to remove the boot menu entry. Then click Apply changes and close VistaBootPro.
3. Open Disk Management, right click on the Windows XP partition and click delete. Right click on the Windows Vista partition and click expand.

Notes:
1. This cannot be undone and all data on the Windows XP partition will be lost, make sure in step 1 to get all data you want to save like Documents, Certificates if you have Encrypted Files, Licenses for things like purchased Music Files, etc.
2. If those steps aren't detailed enough I can be more specific about how to do it.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

on the help menu of XP, i saw an entry on how to uninstall windows xp (search it in the help menu), although i haven't tried it and i believe it for when the installation of XP was an upgrade from an earlier version of windows. on any case, jd's solution might be better.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I decided this was a good thing to write an article on so I just wrote one about this.
It's at http://www.techoddity.com/howt.....ows-vista/

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

ok...I followed the steps...when I get to Disk Management, and delete the XP partition, it gives me a confirm dialogue, which I confirm, then it tells me the partition is in use and I have to force the deletion. When I click on ok, for this action, it tells me: it cannot perform the requested action on volumes containing system partition, boot partition, and pagefile. What am I doing wrong here?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

At the top of the Disk Management window what does it list under the status column for the Windows XP partition?

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

it says Healthy (System, Primary Partition)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. Somehow it thinks the Windows XP partition is a system partition. Which shouldn't be the case if you are booted in Windows Vista.
What does the status column say for the Windows Vista partition?

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

it says Healthy (Boot, Pagefile, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I said this at the beginning of the post, but just to be clear, I had XP installed first. Could this have something to do with the problem?

also, the first time I went to Disk Management, it showed the XP partition as the "Active" partition,which I had to set Vista as the Active to get as far as I did. But, yes, I am in Vista while doing this. In fact I haven't booted into XP since setting up the dual boot.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. I missed that part. Yes that probably is the problem.
The boot loader must have been installed to the Windows XP partition and can't be removed with Disk Management because of it.
If you have a Windows Vista install/repair disc you can delete the partition and install the boot loader on the Windows Vista partition.
Do you have a Windows Vista disc? If so I can list instructions on using it to do that.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

yes I do. I have a disc for 32-bit Vista and one for 64-bit. Does it matter which I use? ( I have 64-bit installed) I really appreciate your help! I am leaving my house for a little while, so I won't be able to reply promptly, but as soon as I get back, or first thing in the a.m. I will try whatever you tell me. I will prob have more questions, so check back if you can. thanks again for your help!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You use the one that matches what you have installed. The 64-bit one in this case.
I just remembered that due to the Windows Vista partition being second you will need to use gparted to delete and move the partition or you will be left will an unallocated space the same size of the Windows XP partition you can't use. You will need to also repair the Windows Vista install after but it's easy to do with the Windows Vista disc.

Here is how:
1. Download and burn a disc with the gparted livecd.
If you don't know how to burn an ISO file I can list instructions for doing that.
2. Boot from it.
3. Right click on the Windows XP partition and click delete.
4. Follow the steps at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....partition/ to resize your Windows Vista partition to use the whole drive and repair the Windows Vista install when that causes it to not boot.

Note: While these steps have worked for many people before you should still backup any important files first just in case something goes wrong.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

ok. Do I still need to use VistaBootPRo to delete the XP bootloader first, as I did in the original instructions? (Since it didn't work for me, I restored the Bootloader, so I would be starting at the beginning again) Or do I just use Gparted to delete the partition, then resize/move the Vista partition, then use the Vista Disc to repair, without going into VistaBootPro first?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

If after doing the above you still have a Windows XP entry then you would need to use VistaBootPro to remove the entry. Otherwise probably not. The Windows Vista Startup Repair will take care of reinstalling the Windows Vista boot loader.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

Ok...I went about this a little differently, out of necessity!...Before I had a chance to do what you suggested, I rebooted my computer. Right after POST, I got a message saying something like Boot MGR could not be found. This was probably due to me deleting the XP entry in VistaBootPro and then restoring it. Anyway, Since I couldn't get into Windows, I put the Vista disc in, and selected repair, and indeed it brought me to the choice to select Vista or XP...I selected XP to see if it still worked, and it just restarted the computer...entering Vista was fine. So I went to Disk Management and now it showed the XP partition as just a primary partition..the system files, etc are now listed under the Vista drive. So I went back into VistaBootPro and once again deleted the XP entry, and then went into Disk Management and this time I was able to delete the XP partition. So now I have the Vista partiton and an unallocated partition...BUT I don't have the option to extend the Vista partition in Disk Management...Do I use G-Parted to extend the volume? are the steps the same as you suggested before?

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

I booted from the g-parted cd, and it went through alot of DOS type writing before finally giving me a FATAL SERVER ERROR and then sat there with a blinking prompt...I was unsure what to do, so i restarted the computer and received the error upon restart saying I needed to reinsert my Windows disc and select repair, which i did, and now its fine, I'm back in Vista, but I still have 131gb of unallocated space......any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

earthangel

im just new here, im searching for anything that can provide me additional info about my vista pc, but sometimes its soo "techie", I want something that could provide me low level user instructions...
I heared that [MOD-REMOVED]
but on this forum I was also able to get a lot of useful info..nice forum guys.....keep on posting!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@earthangel:

We're all here to help anybody that needs help.

What we aren't here to do is be a free promotional vehicle for corporate interests. I've edited your post.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

My Vista partition is listed as second, with my unallocated space first...I think this is why I can't extend the Vista partition, because as i understand, you can't extend to the left, only the right. So I guess I need to move the Vista partition to the left first and then I'll be able to extend it out....so how do i move it? anyone have any idea what went wrong with my G-parted Live Cd? anyone?...........

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You should be able to use the gparted livecd to move the partition to the left and extend it.
It appears first we just need to figure out why it won't boot.
Is there anything else to the "FATAL SERVER ERROR" message like buttons you can select?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.