The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Removing The Write Protection From Flash Drive

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Kayo2012
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 606 times

Kayo2012

I bought a flash drive from k-mart (PNY, 32 GB) to put some of my movies on and watch through my Xbox 360. It worked fine for months. But when I got tired of watching the movies I had on it and plugged it into my laptop to change the movies, it would only let me copy them. I couldn't add anything, delete anything, or even format my flash drive. And to make it worse, when I plugged it back into my xbox, half of my movies were gone but somehow they were still taking up space.

There is no on/off switch for it, I've tried using he registry, tried using safe mode. I've even tried it on different computers; Twice on a PC with Windows XP AND Windows 7, and now on a Mac. Nothings working. It just keeps saying it's write protected. I'm running out of ideas and it's really starting to irritate me. Help? :(

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

See if this helps, http://www.techpraveen.com/200.....r-for.html, but this is if the problem is your computer. I also assume the drive doesn't have a switch that protects it and is turned on. Since it is on more than one computer, it might be the switch or during a file transfer the drive was corrupted. I think then the only solution is to format it, if you can.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

My opinion... It's dead. Save what you can.

All flash drives with important information on them MUST be backed up. I have two copies of any important flash drives.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.