How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

removing shortcut box w/arrow on desktop icon

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by djake65
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 5819 times

djake65
djake65

does anyone know how to remove the little box with the arrow on a icon that is a shortcut on the desktop. i have done it before but forgot how. thanks for any help

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Just right click and delete

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 6 years ago

djake65
djake65

no, i didn't mean remove the shortcut, just rhe little box with the arror so it will look like my computer icon and my docs icon. no little white box with a black arrow

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Sorry, that's what happens when you are "fast reading" - especially in a foreign language (as it is for me).

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

No worries whs.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Whether this was intended for Vista or an older Windows, I will post the XP fix for this as well. Use Tweak UI, the Microsoft Powertoy. It has a plethora of useful tweaks.

http://www.microsoft.com/windo.....rtoys.mspx

To change the shortcut arrow, open Tweak UI and go to Explorer>Shortcut. I prefer the "light arrow" option, but you can turn it off or set a custom arrow.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Vista Shortcut Manager

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Here's the link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 6 years ago

djake65
djake65

thanks taybay, tweak ui did the job. thanks to everyone who responded so quick. djake65

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Be a bit wary when using "tweak" type programs they can really mess up your system. Be sure to make a restore point before using. But better still, make the registry changes yourself, and if something goes wrong, at least you know how to change it back.

Posted 6 years ago

grhm
grhm

Yeah, i would recommend the same as lighthouse - the vista shortcut overlay remover. You can only change the one thing so it carries virtually no risk.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I am wary of Tweak programs as well, but this one comes directly from Microsoft. I would think that Windows and Microsoft's own Tweak program would mesh quite well, but with Microsoft you never know.. XD

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The first version of (Vista)tweak would not even install on this computer. It said OS not compatible!

Posted 6 years ago

djake65
djake65

i run and install only xp pro on my computers that i use or sell. tried vista on my laptop when it first came out and it crashed 3 times before i gave up on it. haven't tried since.

Posted 6 years ago

DLZ
DLZ

you Should Give Vusta a Chanse Before you " give up on it " it Can be a Pain at times ( trust me i know ) but it's Great once you Learn how to use it !

-----

DLZ happy new Year

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

> The first version of (Vista)tweak would not even install on this computer.
What do you mean? There isn't a version of Tweak UI for Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It could have been Tweak V1 I was thinking of.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.