The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Removing Bing completely

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Budd
  • Latest reply from Lestrange
  • Topic Viewed 47370 times

Budd

Shortly after I bought a new desktop computer running Windows 8, Bing began to pop up in two ways: 1) it tried to be my home page and 2) when I open a new tab in Firefox, I still get the Bing search page. I followed Microsoft's instructions, right-clicked on the Bing tile, then clicked to remove it, but Bing still occasionally comes up as my home page (even though my real home page is correctly entered in Tool | Options | General), and clicking for a new tab still brings up the search page, which disappears as soon as I click on a favorite or type in a URL. Any thoughts for tearing it out by the roots? Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Control Panel - Programs & Features - Select Bing - Uninstall.

Then make sure it's gone in installed browswers (IE10, Firefox, Chrome etc) by going into each browser's options settings).

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Thanks, afuhnk. Bing was not on the remove programs list; I think it went away when I removed Bing from the tile on the Start screen. I've expunged any traces of Bing from Firefox, Chrome, and IE... and I'm getting the same problems. Bing must be lurking somewhere. Any ideas where it might be and what I can do about it? Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

As with any software, it is essential for one to follow the proper steps for a complete un-installation in order to ensure that all traces are completely removed from one's system.

It sounds like you tried to manually "uninstall" Bing from your system by removing traces wherever you may have found it. Unfortunately, it seems as if some important hidden elements are still lurking on your system, making the system think Bing is still active.

I have no direct experience with Bing - however, this is what I might try if I was in your situation.

If your removal efforts were done in the last day or two, you might try to run a system restore to the time just before you removed the Bing tile and "expunged" it from those other places. I would suggest you run the "Scan for affected programs" option in the system restore window first, to see if Bing will be restored.

If - after running the system restore - you see that Bing has been restored, then go back and follow the steps given to you by afuhnk in his post above.

The other option you could try is to re-install Bing on your system and make sure it is up an running properly - after which you should also follow afuhnk's steps.

Hope this helps, and please let us know how you make out.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Have you tried going to tools-internet options-general-change default brower and disabling Bing?

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Ronniesonora, I don't get it. In Firefox, under Tools there is no Internet Options tab.

Straspey, I think there is a restore point before I removed Bing from the tile. I assume I will get everything else I've booted out as well?

Thanks to you both.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/854158 See if this can help.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Warlock, I followed the instructions, but the string I got after typing keyword.url was this: http://search.conduit.com/Resu....._ID&q=

Should I replace that with what Firefox suggests? It's http://www.google.com/search?q=

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

If you have a restore point to go back to if you don't like the changes that are made. I see no harm in trying.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Yes replace it by all means Conduit is a horrible PUP that installs itself and can be a pain to get rid of completely.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

@ Budd

When you open System Restore, you are presented with a list of available restore points.

Below the list, on the lower right, is a button which says "Scan for affected programs"

If you highlight one of the restore points on the list, and then click on that button, system restore will run a scan of you system - which may take a few minutes - after which you will be presented with a list of software that will be removed, along with another list of software which will be restored. This will give you a good idea of exactly what to expect.

Take a look and see if there are any elements relating to Bing on that list.

If you've run any updates to your programs, software, anti-virus definitions, etc - those may need to be re-installed.

However, your system will be restored to the condition it was prior to making any changes - so you should be able to go back and remove Bing properly via the Windows un-install feature in Control Panel.

Also - if it does not work, you will be able to completely "undo" the system restore and return your system back to where it is right now.

Hope this helps.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The OP has the system messed up so I suggest this HTG Article.

Remember is running Windows 8 on most probably an OEM machine.

http://www.howtogeek.com/13242.....dows-8-pc/

The Above is The Best Way "To Do No Harm" when advising low knowledge OPs who get MS Windows 8 tangled up.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Warlock, it did no harm, but no good either. I'll try some of the other suggestions here. Thanks to all.

Straspey, Bing was on neither list.

If I downloaded a fresh copy of Bing, then deleted it from the Control Panel and not from the Tile (that was a suggestion from another forum), would that solve the problem? I think Straspey suggested something like that earlier. Where's the best place to get a copy of Bing? The various download sites I saw didn't seem quite right.

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Budd -

"Download Bing Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us.....x?id=35844

You could try downloading a fresh copy and installing it. If you then see it listed on the programs list in Control Panel, then you can try running a proper un-install from there.

However -

Having said that, I urge you to follow the advice, suggestions and guidance offered by raphoenix.

See what happens and let us know how you make out.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Downloading then deleting Bing did not make any difference. I will try raphoenix's advice tomorrow when I have time to get the computer back where I want it. Thanks all around.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

raphoenix, I'm going to refresh my computer shortly. Let me ask you a couple of questions so I can avoid mangling Windows 8 a second time. Do you recommend using Pokki or a similar substitute for the Start button? What is the best way to adjust Win 8 so that it opens to the desktop instead of the tiles? What is the best way to create a shortcut to Control Panel which I have always liked to keep on my desktop? Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Install this FREE program for obtaining a Start Button.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Reboot the machine and and it will open Windows 8 in Desktop View like Windows 7 use to every time you startup.

You can also use all the features of the Windows 8 Start Screen by just moving mouse to upper right corner.

Cut the the learning curve of Windows 8 I'm guessing by about 75%.

"Piece of Cake" ! :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Thanks, Rick. Will do and will report.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

Bingo! Or rather Bing Went! I was able to get rid of Bing's search bar and field opening when I discovered Whitesmoke (which was bundled with another download), but Bing was still trying to be my home page. I followed raphoenix's advice and refreshed the computer. Problem solved. Thanks to Rick and aeveryone who wanted to help. By the way, after refreshing the computer, I looked in add/remove programs, and there is still no entry for Bing. I think it may be like IE: you just have to ignore it and it will leave you alone.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.