How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Remove Windows XP from Windows 7 dual boot

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by largelager
  • Latest reply from largelager
  • Topic Viewed 3472 times

largelager

Hello,
I've read How-To Geek for a long time, started because of lifehacker. I have been looking everywhere for a solution to this problem but nothing seems to work. Here goes...

I have a XP/7 dual boot. XP was installed first on one hard drive, then Windows 7 on a different hard drive. Now the drive with XP on it is failing and causing no boot (into either OS, obviously). I would like to remove the XP drive but when I do I can't boot into 7... I have run the startup repair (at least 6 times in a row as some forums recommend multiple runs).

It seems that when 7 was installed there was no c:/boot folder, probably because the boot.ini file was being used from XP.

Is there an easy way to fix this? I should point out that if needed I can still get into the Win7 OS by reinstalling the XP drive.

Thanks for any help.

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Normal, the boot record (MBR) is with the XP drive (for both systems). You have to recreate it on your Win7 disk. Here is how: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ecord.html

Posted 4 years ago

largelager

Thanks for the link, I tried that and it didn't work. But I did find the issue... It seems that my problem all along was that the Windows 7 partition wasn't marked active... it should have been active once other hard drive was removed, but I did have 3 other hard drives in the system so one of them may have been defaulted to active.

So the solution was to boot back into Windows 7 (with the Windows XP hard drive installed) and mark the Win7 drive as active. Then I booted into the startup repair and after the third time it booted into the OS no problem.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have this issue (I doubt that its a common problem) :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.