How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Remove Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 19811 times

LarrySr
LarrySr

When I turn on my Windows XP computer it brings up a window "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification installation wizard". I don't want this installed. I have been clicking the cancel button but every time I boot up it comes back. How do I remove this?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

If you install it, it won't show again. You need it sometimes when you download stuff from MS.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

In SP 3 WGA is part of xp. without it MS will not allow updates, tis part of the licence agreement

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Yup! Comes under the heading of "just do it". Unless, of course your copy of Windows is not Genuine, then you have another problem.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr
LarrySr

How to Stop Installation Wizard from installing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

1. When you see the window for installing the Genuine Advantage Notification software click cancel.
2. Go to "My Computer.
3. Click on "Local Disk", usually it's C:\.
4. Go to folder "Windows."
5. Go to folder "system32."
6. Look for the folder KB905474 and click it to see the files inside.
7. Verify that the folder contains files that have "WGA" or “Genuine Notifications" in the filenames.
8. Delete the folder KB905474. This stops the Installation Wizard from installing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification.
9. Empty the Recycle Bin just to make sure Windows doesn't retrieve the deleted folder.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

FULL STORY
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....474-17170/

Really was an old FIX and not a crack.

XP users need to at least think about upgrading to Windows 7 or 8.

The XP O/S is old and tired. :(

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.