How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Remove Virtual Machine (Windows) from Parallel Desktop

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by comemon1010
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 34682 times

comemon1010

Hello,

I would like to ask how to remove Windows XP which I have installed on Parallel Desktop on my Mac.

Can someone help me, hopefully a step-by-step guide would be highly appreciated.

Also just a few questions, once I have removed Windows what will happen to my partition, since it was formatted to FAT, will this be added back to my space allowance on my Mac or that space is not available for use unless I format my Mac? Or I can re-install the Windows again so that space is used...

Hope you can assist me in this. Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

ross

in ~/Documents/Parallels/ you should have an XP folder. Just delete it.

The "format' that Parallels did wasn't really to your hard drive, just a file on it (one that's in ~/Documents/Parallels/). There should be 2 files in that folder - one that ends in .pvs (small) and one that ends in .hdd (large). The .hdd is your XP installation. Just delete both, and XP will be gone, space restored.

Posted 6 years ago

comemon1010

Thank you ross for your help, but what happens to the Partition which I did when I installed XP? Everything will be back to normal? Am I correct?

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

ross

If you used Parallels, and not BootCamp, there is only a "virtual" partition created for XP. That's what the .hdd file is - a virtual partition. OS X treats it like any other file, but Parallels sees it as a 'drive' - the XP drive. So as far as OS X is concerned, there is no XP partition.

Posted 6 years ago

comemon1010

Thank you so much, I understand how Parallel works now.

Just one more thing, since it seems you know everything, I just want to ask about since it OS X treats it as another file, so is there any way I can increase the size of the .hdd file?

Thanks, as you might be able to tell, I'm new to OS X, but I'm enjoying it.

Posted 6 years ago

ross

I assure you, I don't know everything. Some would say I know barely anything, and I wouldn't put up much of an argument.

It (kind of) depends on how you setup XP in Parallels. There are two choices for the size of your virtual hard drive - Expanding and Plain. Expanding means that if you set it to (for arguments sake) 10GB, the .hdd file will only be as large as Windows itself. So if Windows (and all the files you added to Windows, like Firefox, MP3s etc) takes up 5GB, the .hdd file will be 5GB. As you add more files, the .hdd will grow in size, to a maximum of 10GB. Hence the "expanding" name.

There's also "plain" - if that was the option you went with (not the default) then Parallels immediately creates a 10GB .hdd file, even if XP is only using 5GB of it.

In Parallels, if you select the Configuration for XP before you start the OS, you can configure certain aspects of the "Hard Disk" (.hdd). Unfortunately increasing its size requires that you wipe all the data from that file first (select Hard Disk then choose the Advanced tab and use Recreate). That's basically the same as just deleting your XP from Parallels and recreating it, using a larger size for the .hdd/hard drive.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

@comemon1010:

You should also check out (and subscribe to) Ross's blog, where he has covered plenty of Mac / OS X topics in great detail: http://www.simplehelp.net

Make sure you look at the articles under the Apple category: http://www.simplehelp.net/category/mac/

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.