The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Remove ubuntu 12.04 from a window 8 dual boot system

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ellaella
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 1737 times

Ellaella

I have a Asus notebook came with pre-installed windows 8. I installed the Ubuntu 12.04 with unetbootin few days ago created a dual boot system. Now, I want to remove the ubuntu system and back to single windows 8 system. The problem is that I don't have the windows recovery CD/DVD. And my computer doesn't have CD-ROM. How could I fix the boot issue after I remove utuntu and Grub bootloader?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Boot the Ubuntu Live USB. Choose try Ubuntu without installing. When desktop loads open terminal and run without quotation marks "sudo apt-get install lilo"
Ignore warning and continue. Once installed run in terminal "sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr"

Once that command completes reboot without the Live USB and you should boot right to windows. You can then use Disk Management in Computer Administration in Control panel to either delete Linux partition(s) and create new NTFS partitions or delete Linux partitions(s) and have your C: extend to the unallocated space.

If not comfortable with terminal copy/paste commands I listed without quotation marks into terminal. You have GRUB2 on MBR. If you delete Ubuntu GRUB2 will still be there and you will get a grub rescue error because GRUB will be looking to the linux partition you deleted. You don't have recovery CD/DVD or a optical drive so lilo will put a generic windows bootloader on MBR for you.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!