The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Remove u Torrent (TCP) (UDP)

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by billj
  • Latest reply from billj
  • Topic Viewed 2998 times

billj

Hi Geeks- I recently completly uninstalled u torrent, or thought i had, but the TCP UDP still seems to the running !If I open internet connections/gateway/ properties/settings- it shows u torrent TCP & UDP
Have tried to delete these, but they just come back next time I re boot- Any ideas why & how to remove ?
Running on Windows XP pro Service pack 3

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hi billj. Did you use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it ?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

billj, hello. TCP and UDP are network protocols that are used to allow uTorrent to communicate through your gateway. I don't believe that you have anything running, just a list of exceptions (also called port forwards) in the gateway. If you can't remove these from Windows, then you should try directly configuring the gateway to remove the exceptions or port forwards. What kind of gateway is it?

LH, there is no uninstaller for uTorrent. It is a stand-alone executable that does not register with Windows Installer. Basically, it's portable and will not show in Revo or Add/Remove Programs.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

ScottW. Oh yes it does show in Revo.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

LH, let's say that it *can* show in Revo. uTorrent is a portable app, but it can be run with an install switch which will register it with Windows Installer. I never install portable apps, but that's just me. Where I have uTorrent running portable, Revo doesn't list it. So, I amend my earlier statement -- uTorrent should not ordinarily show up in Revo or Add/Remove unless the user has taken steps to install it.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

ScottW. Thanks for the explanation :) btw, I have sent you an email.

Posted 5 years ago

billj

Thanks LH & Scott
No did not use Revo. Used uninstall that came with the uTorrent dowm load
If it's not doing any thing thaks OK - but HOW Do I KNOW ??
Just found web site "www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx" about uninstalling uTorrent, but could not find the regisrty entries they mentioned in my registry-so that was a waste of time !!!

Edit by mod. That is a very bad site to visit.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

billj, that website you listed is NOT a safe place to visit. You can get a serious malware infection that way.

We can be sure about the TCP/UDP entries for uTorrent when we figure out where they are set. To do that, you need to check the configuration of the gateway directly. If you would like some help with that, please provide the make and model of the gateway or router or modem or whatever it is.

LH, please nuke that URL, thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I would not use that www . site you gave at all. Download, Install, and update this program. Then run it in deep scan,
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Thanks ScottW. I was on the case. But due to International time lag, yours arrived 1st :)

Posted 5 years ago

billj

Thanks LH & Scott- problen solved.
Scott got me thinking so I checked the other computers on our wireless network & YES some one had installed Utorrent just a few days ago - so as Scott suspected, it is comming from the gateway.
Thanks for the info on the dodgey sites,have removed it & will run scan as advised as Ad-Aware picked up nothing! Thanks again from - billj

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.