Remove Notification on Change Filetype

(15 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Slembroccoli
  • Latest reply from Hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 442 times

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

Hello!

I often find myself changing file types on several files in one run and then i get this annoying dialog:

Can it be removed by some registry trick or anything?

Thank you!

/Slembroccoli

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Not seen that one before. Do you ever get it on changing just one file ?

Posted 3 years ago

Straspey
Straspey

@LH

I've received that message many times - both in my XP days, and since I've had Windows 7.

For example, try changing the filename of "criticalfile.dll" to "criticalfile.old" and you'll probably receive that message.

However, I've never thought of how or why one might wish to defeat the warning, as mentioned by the OP.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

It could be coming via Security Center. In which case, I have notifications disabled. (and UAC)
Can't think where else it might come from.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

another example would be ...
if you downloaded a themepack only because you planned on extracting an image from it or a sound effect - or whatever.
as you might already know - if you change the extension from .themepack to .zip you are then able to extract the contents. if you didnt know - now you know
: )
so anyway, after changing the extension you will get that same little notification too.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Vissy. Link me to a theme to download, and I'll give it a go.

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

just earlier today i think ...
http://www.howtogeek.com/news/.....ws-7/5937/

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

LH, file extensions are disabled in W7 by default. You have to turn them on first
The OP is saying, when he renames a file "extension", he gets the message. Now u know :)

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Vissy. Just tried that. No probs at all.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Example: take a .docx file and rename the filetype to .doc. Then you get the message. The file will still open with Word. Same with a .wmv renamed to .avi - and there are many other examples.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Don't have any, .wmv files, but tried it with a .docx. Again, no problem at all. No warning popup.

Posted 3 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

Well, this is a bit odd. As Hatryst said, i meant the "extension".

Also, UAC is completely disabled.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

What about notifications in Security Center ?

Posted 3 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

Disabled all of them, no effect (I couldn't find Security Center, but i supposed you meant Action Center)

This screen:

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Slem, I think these 'notifications' are a native part of Windows. Just like when you try to delete a file, it doesn't get deleted instantly, it gives you a warning/prompt, whatever you call it. Not saying that it "cannot" be disabled, but its generally better to let it stay there.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.